Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criteria for transferring?  (Read 720 times)

MalachiConstant

• View Profile
    • Email
Criteria for transferring?
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »
I know that the main criterion is grades, but by the time you apply for transfer after one year, don't you only have grades from one semester, i.e from your first semester? It seems this would be a flimsy basis on which to measure a student's performance and to grant him admission. I will be 1L this fall and am already considering the possibility of transferring (don't ask). I have a decent scholarship and my LSAT will definetely be in the top 5 percent or so of the class. But I have no idea how well this will translate into an ability to, with hard work, outperform my peers. Apart from grades, what else can you do to boost your chances of getting a transfer?

Miguel Bain

• View Profile
Re: Criteria for transferring?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 04:43:02 PM »
First, almost all schools require two semesters of grades, they'll usually get your transcripts mid-summer and make decisions from there.  There are a few exceptions to this rule - GULC/WUSTL will let you apply with only one semester's worth of grades, for example. 

A compelling reason to transfer will probably help you more than anything else; unfortunately, these often include things that you can't "work on," such as transferring to be closer to where you're from originally or to be with a spouse.  My impression is that any other reason to transfer won't hurt you (it IS almost all about the grades, after all), but it won't boost your chances.

One affirmative thing that you can do once you're in school is to participate in class and go to office hours so that you can differentiate yourself from the 100 or so other students in your section.  Ideally, this will lead to a good letter of recommendation as opposed to a lukewarm, more generic one.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Criteria for transferring?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:05 PM »
Transfer apps are usually due in the early-mid summer, and decisions are made very quickly. At most schools, the dean reviews the apps and turns them around within a few days.