Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Really tough decision.  (Read 407 times)

martinizing912

• View Profile
Really tough decision.
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:43:56 AM »
I've been offered admission to Fordham, George Washington, Cardozo, and Brooklyn Law School. Brooklyn and Cardozo both offered pretty large scholarships, but no $$ from Fordham or GW. I want to do public interest, but I keep hearing it's still important to go to the best school I get into (less competitive, better connections, etc). It also sounds like the Loan Repayment programs have/will significantly improve under the new administration.

I'm also waitlisted at Berkeley, Georgetown ("Preferred Waitlist"), Michigan, Penn, and UVA.

I've been able to get my deposit deadlines extended a bit bc i really can't decide...

Any thoughts?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Really tough decision.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:30 AM »
I think GW, but if you get in off the waitlist for any of those schools, go there.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
How substantial are the scholarships and how important is the money to you?  (i.e. how would you pay for GW or Fordham: all loans?)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
Although I wish I had the options you have, I was debating between Cincinnati and DePaul. I contacted alumni and current students as well as practicing attorneys in IP. I realized that rank in the top 20 is important, but outside that, where you want to live/work becomes more a priority. Cost/debt is also a major factor. Between my two choices, I chose the more costly school because I feel the program is actually much stronger than Cincinnati. You have to decide what is important to you and then assess those schools based on that criteria. For me, legal writing is important, and DePaul has a much stronger LW program than Cincinnati. (I was also comparing DePaul to Kent, but DePaul was at least $15,000/yr cheaper with the scholarship)

Of your schools, Brooklyn has a very good reputation as does Cardozo. I imagine Brooklyn might be cheaper and if that difference is significant, and if you want to work in NY, then that's a good choice. Otherwise, I imagine GW is a better option (if you want to do public service in politics).

Good luck!