Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Planet Law School II  (Read 1718 times)

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
Planet Law School II
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
Anyone read it? Thoughts?
UB Law 2012

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: Planet Law School II
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:15:40 AM »
I bought a copy of it brand new off Ebay after reading Law School Confidential and wanting more of the same.  I was disappointed.  Severely.

The author comes off sounding like someone who: a) didn't do well in law school (and got bullied every day of his life before law school), or b) someone who couldn't get a job out of law school.  He goes on so many paranoid rants about how messed up the system is and spends little time actually offering advice.  There are a few nice insights (and by few, I mean about 3% of the book), but overall I found that it was not worth the effort.

Law School Confidential, on the other hand, I really enjoyed.  It is full of student opinions of what to expect, and it offers a less "I-hate-law" approach.  I will probably use some of the study tips offered in LSC.  If it comes down to one or the other, Law School Confidential is (for me) the hands-down winner.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:38:26 AM »
m1ss_uNdeRst00d (that will probably be the only time I spell out your name like that, btw :D), you should check out 'Getting to Maybe' before law school.  It is a great primer for law school exams, and how to excel on them.  The authors are both HLS grads who teach law, and their approach is to try to point out the differences between 'good' exams, and 'A' exams.  Apparently, it is good to read through it once before 1L, then again midway through each semester. 

I have actually not heard a single bad review of it, although some people still admitted getting mediocre grades after reading it.  It's not a miracle-book, after all.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies (and for spelling out my sn correctly! lol)

I read Law School Confidential, too, and I too wanted more of the same. I bought it last night at B&N but haven't cracked it open yet. As for Getting To Maybe, I asked about it at B&N last night and they said they don't carry it because it's a textbook. Obviously, I can order it from Amazon, but is it hard to understand before you get to law school?
UB Law 2012

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
I found PLSII very helpful.  Yes, Atticus has real "issues", but there's a lot of good info in the book.  I also liked Law School Confidential.

I would also suggest reading law school blogs - I learned a ton about my probable future school by reading http://www.no634.org/, and other useful info by visiting many of the other blogs on his sidebar.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies (and for spelling out my sn correctly! lol)

I read Law School Confidential, too, and I too wanted more of the same. I bought it last night at B&N but haven't cracked it open yet. As for Getting To Maybe, I asked about it at B&N last night and they said they don't carry it because it's a textbook. Obviously, I can order it from Amazon, but is it hard to understand before you get to law school?

No, it's not hard to understand.  It uses some examples that could scare you off at first sight, but just follow along.  Re-read it if it isn't clear.  They only use the examples to illustrate the kind of issue spotting and elucidating that professors expect of 'A' students on exams.  Don't let it intimidate you.  It helps you understand what profs look for, so you can spend your time prepping for exams most efficiently and effectively.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:41:18 AM »
While "Atticus" has some issues, to say the least, he does have some good critiques of the system, if I recall correctly. 

southerncallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
Getting to Maybe is the only good one.  Its easy to understand and offers real advice that you can implement.  There is no BS color coding schemes or cheap tricks that people think work.  It explains what profs look for in exams and in class...It explains why the "tricks" recommended in other books cannot possibly get you an 'A'.   I now know what I am studying for in law school.  The other guides are crap.

Moe Zhust

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
Somewhere in that bad fat book is a good thin book trying to get out.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
Somewhere in that bad fat book is a good thin book trying to get out.

That's so very, very true.  :D
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.