Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling all mommies  (Read 4137 times)

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
Calling all mommies
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »
I'm 27, mom to two kiddos, 7 and 4. I'm engaged and my fiance makes good money so I don't work. I'll be starting law school in the fall. I've read so much about huge workloads, spending all night at the library, having no time to do any of the things you enjoy. I'm worried about two things - not having enough quality time with my kids, and not having enough time to study...
UB Law 2012

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all mommies
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:54:05 AM »
I can't speak to being a mother, since I'm a man.  I can say that I have a friend at UB (2L - if you're reading this, what's up Jacob?!) who is like top 1/3 and barely does any work.  Seriously.  If you put in a good amount of work (say, study at the library until 6:30 every night - 4 hours each weekend day), you should be able to do really well. 

For many, approaching law school like a full-time job is the most effective way to balance families and school. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
Hi.  I'm also a not a mom, but I have a wife and a baby.  I've done fairly well on the 9-5 schedule (except for a few nasty weeks around finals time) The amount you work and the grades you get are related, but only up to a certain point, and that point is different for everyone.  You'll hear stories all across the board.  Some people can just do all the reading and the classwork and they get good grades.  Some people have to (or think they have to) do all the reading and classwork, along with reading supplements, tapes, study groups, swapping outlines, and recreating their own outlines over and over again.  I have a friend who is a mother of 3 and she's in the top ten percent of our class.  She seems to be able to get everything done from 9-5 during the week and on Saturdays.
Also, if you don't care about placing high in your class, law school can probably be pretty chill. You'd still be busy at least 5-8 hours a day during the week though.

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:12:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess it's not really fair that I didn't include daddies - because it can be stressful on them, too.
UB Law 2012

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
I'm 27, mom to two kiddos, 7 and 4.

Both by the same daddy?
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:06:40 PM »

Both by the same daddy?

That is totally uncalled for. It is clear from your posts that you are trying to start arguments on here for your own entertainment. I will not give you the satisfaction of replying to any of your further posts, so just go away. You have clearly lost at the game of life.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »

Both by the same daddy?

I had thought that I would find a higher level of maturity on a LS forum than elsewhere on the internet.
UB Law 2012

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »
I had thought that I would find a higher level of maturity on a LS forum than elsewhere on the internet.
I thought the same thing when I first started reading this forum...you wouldn't believe how juvenile this place can be.  I am amazed how many future lawyers end their arguments around here by calling someone a "feminine hygiene product" (literally)?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »

Both by the same daddy?

Wrong! Future lawyers are just as susceptible to this common condition (immaturity) as anyone else.

It would be almost delusional to think otherwise.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »
I don't understand what the big deal is. It was just a question out of curiousity. If the question is "off limits" then don't answer it.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.