Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling all mommies  (Read 4033 times)

wspaek

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling all mommies
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »
Hi!

I'm also going to law school in September and I have a toddler.
How to balance studies and mommy-responsiblities is currently my biggest concern!
It's reassuring to see that there are others out there!
My baby's going to go to daycare full-time from September.
I'm hoping that that will be enough time for me to study....

redcement

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 09:32:06 PM »
I have two young kids and will be heading to law school in the Fall as well. Right now, my biggest concern is moving into the right neighborhood. My daughter will be going to public school, and only two of the public schools in the area have solid numbers (No Child Left Behind data). Good luck to all the parents!

NCLB is a joke. Don't use that to judge the school. Talk to parents, teachers...Best of luck to you!

We do not live there, so it's difficult to talk to parents and teachers. I have also heard that NCLB is a joke (from teachers), but it is the only data available. It publishes data such as percentage of kids who can pass an English and math test, percentage of kids graduating, racial makeup/diversity or lack of diversity percentages, percentages of kids who get free or reduced lunch. All these factors help paint a picture of the schools. I do indeed use the data to judge them.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »
I'm currently finishing up my first year. I am partnered and have 3 (of my 5) kids here with me, ages (now) 3, 5, and almost 15. I "plan" on school 8:30-5, plus one weekend afternoon. I usually do have to do some reading in the evening once/week. Near Legal Writing deadlines, however, working through the weekend is the norm. And I've worked through the last 4 weekends getting ready for finals.

However, I am a fast reader, so that helps a lot for my daily reading.

It's hard when I have to decide "hmm, do my homework, or go to a very interesting lunch."

A single mom I know (rising 3L) gets up at 3:30 am to do her studying then. She goes to bed when her kids do at 8:30.