Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling all mommies  (Read 4106 times)

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all mommies
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »
I don't understand what the big deal is. It was just a question out of curiousity. If the question is "off limits" then don't answer it.

It is rude and is insinuating something about the OP's character. Secondly, it is irrelevant to the topic being discussed. Normally socialized children learn early on that it is not always polite to ask certain questions, even if they are curious.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:49:34 AM »
I don't understand what the big deal is. It was just a question out of curiousity. If the question is "off limits" then don't answer it.

If you're genuinely curious, I'll humor you. My children do have the same father. I was married to him, but it didn't work and we divorced shortly after our daughter was born.

UB Law 2012

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »

It is rude and is insinuating something about the OP's character. Secondly, it is irrelevant to the topic being discussed. Normally socialized children learn early on that it is not always polite to ask certain questions, even if they are curious.

Who are you, the woman's representative, her publicist, you speak on her behalf? My question to the OP probley evoked some sort of contrition on your part. Lastly, I'm an adult, I don't conduct myself as a "normally socialized child" would. If I have a question, like an adult I query. If the OP didn't want to reply, she could have done so, but she decided otherwise. LSD doesn't need an obtrusive police officer patrolling.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 06:07:46 PM »

If you're genuinely curious, I'll humor you. My children do have the same father. I was married to him, but it didn't work and we divorced shortly after our daughter was born.

Well I'm sorry it didn't work out. Good luck in your legal endeavors.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
Who are you, the woman's representative, her publicist, you speak on her behalf? My question to the OP probley evoked some sort of contrition on your part. Lastly, I'm an adult, I don't conduct myself as a "normally socialized child" would. If I have a question, like an adult I query. If the OP didn't want to reply, she could have done so, but she decided otherwise. LSD doesn't need an obtrusive police officer patrolling.

I do not claim to speak on the OP's behalf. It appears that she is completely capable of handling this on her own, and she has. I found your question insulting (regardless of who it was directed at) and chose to express my displeasure. Normally socialized children turn into normally socialized adults. Adults do not ask innappropriate questions. Here is a piece of advice: When you are being interviewed for your first job and the interviewer asks you if you have any questions, do not say, "I notice the pictures of your children around your office. Are they all from the same man?"

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 10:31:19 AM »

I do not claim to speak on the OP's behalf. It appears that she is completely capable of handling this on her own, and she has. I found your question insulting (regardless of who it was directed at) and chose to express my displeasure. Normally socialized children turn into normally socialized adults. Adults do not ask innappropriate questions. Here is a piece of advice: When you are being interviewed for your first job and the interviewer asks you if you have any questions, do not say, "I notice the pictures of your children around your office. Are they all from the same man?"

The OP is not an employer; its called discretion. You probley are harboring your own personal issues about the question, if so seek therapy.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 12:49:29 PM »
I'm 27, mom to two kiddos, 7 and 4. I'm engaged and my fiance makes good money so I don't work. I'll be starting law school in the fall. I've read so much about huge workloads, spending all night at the library, having no time to do any of the things you enjoy. I'm worried about two things - not having enough quality time with my kids, and not having enough time to study...

OP, sorry about hijacking your thread. I think it all depends on how you study. In my current program, there is a huge workload, many people spend all night at the library, and have no time for the things they enjoy. I like to find a nice balance between studying and family time. I think your kids are old enough that they will understand that you are busy and you can more easily explain to them when you will be free (hard for me to do with a daughter who is not yet 2).

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »
I'm 27, mom to two kiddos, 7 and 4. I'm engaged and my fiance makes good money so I don't work. I'll be starting law school in the fall. I've read so much about huge workloads, spending all night at the library, having no time to do any of the things you enjoy. I'm worried about two things - not having enough quality time with my kids, and not having enough time to study...

OP, sorry about hijacking your thread. I think it all depends on how you study. In my current program, there is a huge workload, many people spend all night at the library, and have no time for the things they enjoy. I like to find a nice balance between studying and family time. I think your kids are old enough that they will understand that you are busy and you can more easily explain to them when you will be free (hard for me to do with a daughter who is not yet 2).

No worries ;)

I think you're right about them being older and able to do things on their own, leaving me to study. They're really independent and like to play alone and with each other - they don't engage me as much as they used to. And their dad takes them every other weekend, so that will help immensely...
UB Law 2012

redcement

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »
I have two young kids and will be heading to law school in the Fall as well. Right now, my biggest concern is moving into the right neighborhood. My daughter will be going to public school, and only two of the public schools in the area have solid numbers (No Child Left Behind data). Good luck to all the parents!

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »
I have two young kids and will be heading to law school in the Fall as well. Right now, my biggest concern is moving into the right neighborhood. My daughter will be going to public school, and only two of the public schools in the area have solid numbers (No Child Left Behind data). Good luck to all the parents!

NCLB is a joke. Don't use that to judge the school. Talk to parents, teachers...Best of luck to you!
UB Law 2012