Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No grades, no rankings  (Read 2469 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: No grades, no rankings
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 08:45:53 AM »
Google US News law school rankings.  The new ones come out next week.  I don't think UB is really high up there.

Every year but this past year over what, the last 5 maybe? 

The thing is I don't think UB is a school worth it for a lot of employers to want to put extra time in deciphering who is worth interviewing.  Though I guess if most students want to stay in Buffalo, then the firms in the area probably have a relationship with UB.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 08:59:19 AM »
Don't get it twisted.  UB is the 2nd best law school in upstate NY (behind Cornell), and for anyone looking to practice upstate, UB is a great option.  It also chargese in-state tuition for NYers, making it a pretty sound financial choice.  Obviously, making biglaw is extremely tough out of UB (although my buddy there knows a student going to Ropes and one going to Shearman), but there are plenty of well-paying regional firms throughout WNY and CNY who recruit at Buffalo.  Those looking to make money can always go PI (personal injury, NOT public interest), while there is a USATTY office in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse (not to mention countless counties to DA/public defend in). 

UB fell like 11 spots last year (something like 78 to 89 or something), but I've heard they are desperately trying to increase their rank.   
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »
Don't get it twisted.  UB is the 2nd best law school in upstate NY (behind Cornell), and for anyone looking to practice upstate, UB is a great option.  It also chargese in-state tuition for NYers, making it a pretty sound financial choice.  Obviously, making biglaw is extremely tough out of UB (although my buddy there knows a student going to Ropes and one going to Shearman), but there are plenty of well-paying regional firms throughout WNY and CNY who recruit at Buffalo.  Those looking to make money can always go PI (personal injury, NOT public interest), while there is a USATTY office in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse (not to mention countless counties to DA/public defend in). 

UB fell like 11 spots last year (something like 78 to 89 or something), but I've heard they are desperately trying to increase their rank.   

No offense, but UB isn't even in the same universe of Cornell.

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »

And aren't you forgetting Syracuse? Last time I checked, it was tied with U.B., which are both ranked #100.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 11:16:40 AM »

LOL, you're not offending me - I'm Cornell '12.  I just thought that people discussing the school should understand the market it caters to.  I was born and raised in upstate NY, and I understand the perceptions of other upstate NYers more than people just using USNWR rankings to make cliche claims (I'm not exactly indicting you, but it may be the case that posters in the thread fall into that category).
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »

LOL, you're not offending me - I'm Cornell '12.  I just thought that people discussing the school should understand the market it caters to.  I was born and raised in upstate NY, and I understand the perceptions of other upstate NYers more than people just using USNWR rankings to make cliche claims (I'm not exactly indicting you, but it may be the case that posters in the thread fall into that category).

I'm from CNY originally, myself, and you're absolutely right - there are many well-employed UB and Syracuse grads upstate. Contrary to popular LSD belief, folks from non-T14 schools DO get jobs.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »
.2 is big, man.  3.5 vs. 3.7

Less than .2 :)  It is like 3.45 for top 1/3 here and 3.6 for top 10%.  Sorry, but this is not a big difference, especially when you are at like 3.55 and can't say that you are in the top 10% and some firms have flat cut offs. 

If my school didn't do % reports, a borderline case like this would likely get an interview because there is no arbitrary line drawn in the sand.

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »
.2 is big, man.  3.5 vs. 3.7

Less than .2 :)  It is like 3.45 for top 1/3 here and 3.6 for top 10%.  Sorry, but this is not a big difference, especially when you are at like 3.55 and can't say that you are in the top 10% and some firms have flat cut offs. 

If my school didn't do % reports, a borderline case like this would likely get an interview because there is no arbitrary line drawn in the sand.

3.45 to 3.6 covering 23% of the class is insane, also those GPA's seem very high - our top 33% is like 3.21 and top 25% is 3.32 and top 10% is 3.46?  Seems as if your school hands out too many A's.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »

3.45 to 3.6 covering 23% of the class is insane, also those GPA's seem very high - our top 33% is like 3.21 and top 25% is 3.32 and top 10% is 3.46?  Seems as if your school hands out too many A's.

Or perhaps your school hands out too few  ;)
Why wouldn't you want to look better on paper?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
Not really that many flat A's are given, but almost everyone gets between a B and A-.  Very few B-'s or lower and very few A's.  If you got an A here you usually got either the top grade in the class or the second highest.