Law School Discussion

**Int'l Human Rights, American vs Maryland?!**

**Int'l Human Rights, American vs Maryland?!**
« on: April 15, 2009, 07:01:08 PM »
I'll be applying next year, but I'd still really appreciate your thoughts on this-

I'm very strongly interested in international human rights and I plan to either work for the US government or an NGO after law school. I know that American University, Washington College of Law perfectly fits this bill, but my main concern is how much it costs. American would be ~60k a year, whereas Maryland (another school that I've strongly considered attending) would be ~40k a year, since I qualify for in-state tuition. What do you think?! I'm absolutely in love with the opportunities that American has to offer in int'l human rights.. I mean, it has an Academy on Human Rights & Humanitarian Law and a Center for Human Rights & Humanitarian Law, amongst so much more! I really don't think I would have as enriching of an experience at MD than at American, but having that extra ~60k of debt won't leave my mind. Since I'm planning on working in public service, my salary won't be crazy big.. I know that there are loan repayment programs available, but their terms are very wordy and I'm not sure if the work I do will qualify for one of these programs. Any thoughts?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: **Int'l Human Rights, American vs Maryland?!**
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:46:59 AM »
I vote Maryland. It's a better school overall and cheaper to boot. In regards to the international programs many schools offer, I would recommend this read:

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/11/international_law_believe_the_hype

I realize you have a specific interest in a branch of international law, but I think she makes a good case that most of those programs are mostly marketing devices.

Re: **Int'l Human Rights, American vs Maryland?!**
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:56:31 PM »
Thanks so much for your thoughts and for posting that article. I'm glad that although I am pursuing int'l law like many others, I have a specific goal in mind. Ideally, I want to work in DC for either the gov't or an NGO and focus on litigation dealing with human rights.. I guess it might take a bit to get there, but that's life. :)