Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tech v. OU---am I just splitting hairs here?  (Read 483 times)

Emerson

• View Profile
Tech v. OU---am I just splitting hairs here?
« on: April 15, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
Making a long story short: OU awarded me a merit scholarship which cuts down about half of the out-of-state fees (I live in Dallas) and I have also been accepted to Tech at in state fees (incredibly cheap). I have no intention of practicing in Oklahoma, but would personally prefer OU over Tech. Its about a 15k difference in the end and from what I have heard, the job opportunities are about equal for grads of both schools in the DFW/North Texas area (where I'd like to end up). Is it worth it to attend a school that is Tier 2 over Tier 3 for 15k (plus intrest)?

I had intially decided on OU, but based my decision on some bad numbers as I thought the initial award would cover all out of state fees. Am I being to anal over the extra 15k? (I do have about 20k in undergrad debt). And yes, I am borrowing every penny...lol.

Any insight or response is truly appreciated. Thanks!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tech v. OU---am I just splitting hairs here?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:12:12 PM »
If you prefer OU, go to OU.  The OK market is a better backup than West Texas.

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »
Agreed. I don't think it really matters which one you go to. I know a 3L at OU. He is currently looking for work in Dallas. It seems fairly promising, but he hasn't found anything yet. If you would be happier there, it's a good choice. Good luck with it.

blergh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
I think OU.  I've visited both schools, and I must say I was a little disappointed with Tech's Library.  I think OU has better resources, a better program and a lot of people have been able to make the move from Oklahoma to working in Texas, especially in the Dallas area. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »
Oklahoma. Texas Tech is fine, but OU is worth the extra $15k.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
OU hands down...

the alumni network and loyalty of OU people in general may prove to be WELL worth it.

both of my wife's parents are OU alumni, and there's always instant fraternity with a fellow sooner...