Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: San Diego Living?  (Read 1007 times)

Sean104

• View Profile
San Diego Living?
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »
I'm trying to get some feedback on the different neighborhoods surrounding TJSL, i.e., safety, price, public transportation, distance from the school.

Mission Valley, La Jolla, Old Town, La Mesa, Kensington, downtown, Clairmont, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach are some I thought of.  Looking to hear from current or former students, accepted students, and San Diego residents.

*Again, just looking for feedback about living situations.

Eagles41

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: San Diego Living?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »
Without a doubt PB (Pacific Beach). I lived there one summer with a few friends. We had a great house near the shore for the 4 of us the rent was $2,900 a month. Not the nicest house in the world but it was not a dump either. Awesome night life, great beaches, and amazing people. Wish I was heading there next year!

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
Live in PB if you like jock types that throw the football around in flip flops after getting wasted.

It's like surfer bro land. Seriously..like an infestation.

It's also not the closest to TJSL.

La Mesa is nice, College Area by SDSU is very nice. I lived in Golden Hill & Downtown for a few years. Not as nice as the other areas, but plenty of stuff to do & a great vibe. Mission Valley is nice as well, and Kensington is AWESOME.

Prices are actually decent for a California beach town..Mission Valley would probably be the most expensive. Definitely check out Hillcrest for good deals..you'd be super close to school..although not as close if you were in Old Town. Clairmont is nice, but in my opinion it's too far north of where I'd want to be.

Public transportation sucks in San Diego. They do have a tram system linked to SDSU, but I don't think you'd have a use for it.

Close to your school: Downtown/Golden Hill/Hillcrest/Mission Bay/South
Park
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
Hey, I live in P.B. bro!  It's pretty tight.  Lots of stuff to do, and places to play.... oh wait, you're starting law school.

Live in Mission Hills.  Close enough to Hillcrest, North Park and Downtown to have a decent nightlife, far enough away that you can study and not be bombarded with noise and partying.

I lived in Mission Hills for years and loved it.  Look around Albatross and Washington for great prices.

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:55:38 PM »
The advice is much appreciated guys.  This is good info to get my search started.

@ Scentless:  The coast sounds sweet, the only problem I'll have is distance, I don't plan on having a car my first year.  How's Old Town like in general?  I've heard mixed reviews, for instance, its located in an industrial area.  I been to San Diego many times, but haven't checked out Old town at all.  Also, does the public transportation suck that bad?  Or is it on par with any ordinary big city, nothing special worth noting? 

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:12:31 PM »
Hey Sean. Old Town is alright, Ive only been a few times, but yes, it is kind of industrial.

If you're not going to have a car, I would live Downtown or in Hillcrest. I don't know your budget, but I'm pretty sure you'd find something cheaper in Hillcrest.

As far as transportation, the bus is going to be your only option. Downtown/Hillcrest you would most likely be very close to a bus stop and you'd only have to go a few miles.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Sean104

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »
Honestly, I want to be within 2 miles from school (preferably even 1 mile), especially if I'm not going to have a car.  So it looks like I will be limited to the neighborhoods of Hillcrest, Old Town, Mission Hills, Midtown, USD's campus.  Sound about right?

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
Honestly, I want to be within 2 miles from school (preferably even 1 mile), especially if I'm not going to have a car.  So it looks like I will be limited to the neighborhoods of Hillcrest, Old Town, Mission Hills, Midtown, USD's campus.  Sound about right?

Yes.

KHilen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 08:00:55 PM »
Don't rule out Point Loma and OB due to distance. I used to bike from OB to downtown for work daily (about 7 miles) and only was rained on once.  The climate is perfect for biking (not too cold/hot) and it may the only time for exercise that you can fit in!  Ocean Beach has a hippie vibe where you can be whoever the heck you want to be.  In other words, if you stumble into a cafe after a long night of studyng without shaving or showering, no one will think twice about it.  SOOO not the case in downtown or Hilcrest.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 02:06:57 AM »
Mira Mesa or Scripps Ranch lol. Or Miramar, not far from USIU and the Naval Base, where Top Gun was filmed. Lots of Rattlesnakes in those hills, though. lol. Naw. Just kidding. Go for La Mesa...