Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UChicago ED Roll Call  (Read 16667 times)

jeff112

• View Profile
Re: UChicago ED Roll Call
« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »
What do you think my chances are if I got deferred during the ED round (3.98), and I will be resubmitting with a 3.75 (top 4%).  I know its a drop, but I'm still top 4%.  I received a B in contracts, which brought me down.  All the rest of my grades are A+s, As or A-s.

I applied from a middle to lower T2 last cycle.  I was right in between the top 1-2 percent and got shut out by Chicago.  Nevertheless, transferring is an idiosyncratic process and YMMV (Brooklyn is ranked a bit higher than my school was; that might help).  Personally, I doubt you'll get in...Chicago doesn't have many slots and the ones that they do have are extremely competitive.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2009, 02:20:53 AM »
Sigh... still haven't gotten one of my freaking grades!  >:( >:( The grade submission deadline was Friday, but my Con Law professor is too busy blogging to do her damned job, apparently.

How is everyone else holding up while we wait for final confirmation?

So far, I'm sitting at A+ (Property)/A+ (Civ Pro)/B+ (Crim Pro)/Unknown (Con Law)/A- (LRW). I'm pretty sure I am safe at this point- Crim represents a slip from last semester (Down from an A- in Substantive Crim,) but I made up the difference with LRW (Up from a B). I figure that I will only get revoked at this point if I get a C- or worse in Con Law.

Agreeing to my Regents lease tomorrow, and crying myself to sleep over the-competition-that-shall-not-be-named-or-discussed.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2009, 06:00:58 AM »
Sigh... still haven't gotten one of my freaking grades!  >:( >:( The grade submission deadline was Friday, but my Con Law professor is too busy blogging to do her damned job, apparently.

Most of us are busy submitting applications to other schools while trying to avoid contemplating the inevitable. =)

transferjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
Isn't the grade submission deadline "to LSAC by July 1st"? 2 of my grades aren't up. My GPA is wayyy down this semester so far though :( I would be crushed if they rescinded...

Most of us are busy submitting applications to other schools while trying to avoid contemplating the inevitable. =)

transferjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
Oh it may be diff. for the deferred list. GL, everyone!

Isn't the grade submission deadline "to LSAC by July 1st"? 2 of my grades aren't up. My GPA is wayyy down this semester so far though :( I would be crushed if they rescinded...

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2009, 09:49:23 PM »
Well, I don't think July 1st is a solid date or anything - they aren't going to rescind our acceptance as punishment for our lazy professors, or at least I certainly don't think they would.

I sent McKellop a transcript representing what I have so far (though I sent it in before Property came through yesterday). Best of luck junkie, I certainly hope you don't get rescinded. How bad is "wayyy down?"

Us ED folks- accepted and deferred/accepted alike- are going to have to grab a beer once we're in Chicago, to reminisce about this hellish month and a half of fingerbiting we are going through. And about the LR write-on, which is quite possibly one of the more intellectually painful things I have ever had to do, particularly given the miniscule chances of actually getting on to LR. I'm not that interested in Legal Forum (awesome concept, but I'm not in to Crim Law, which is its focus for this year) or the Intl. Journal.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
Us ED folks- accepted and deferred/accepted alike- are going to have to grab a beer once we're in Chicago, to reminisce about this hellish month and a half of fingerbiting we are going through. And about the LR write-on, which is quite possibly one of the more intellectually painful things I have ever had to do, particularly given the miniscule chances of actually getting on to LR. I'm not that interested in Legal Forum (awesome concept, but I'm not in to Crim Law, which is its focus for this year) or the Intl. Journal.

At least Chicago gives anyone who wants the chance, an opportunity to become a member of their law review.  I finished my 1L school's write-on competition, I expect to participate in at least one more competition, but hope I don't have to do two more.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »
The problem with Topic Access is that you don't have LR membership in time for OCI, which is where it really counts. I imagine it is a lot harder to get a board position if you write on, unless you somehow manage to finish your comment pre-December.

It does give you membership in time for Clerkships though.

So, are you not doing the write-on for Chicago, Upgrade? It's going on as we speak.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2009, 11:06:40 PM »
The problem with Topic Access is that you don't have LR membership in time for OCI, which is where it really counts. I imagine it is a lot harder to get a board position if you write on, unless you somehow manage to finish your comment pre-December.

It does give you membership in time for Clerkships though.

I chose to do research this summer instead of going to a small firm, hoping to get a head start on thinking about my note topic.  Finishing the note before December probably won't happen, though. 

So, are you not doing the write-on for Chicago, Upgrade? It's going on as we speak.

The likelihood of my acceptance is low and the likelihood that I will be one of the two who make the cut is even lower, but why not? =)

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »
Finally got all of my grades back today. Ended up with A+/A+/A/B+/A-(LRW) this semester- a slight improvement from last semester. Good luck to those of you who are still waiting or got deferred to RD; as I said, we should all get a few drinks in Chicago in the fall to commemorate this month or so of miserable waiting.