Law School Discussion

UChicago ED Roll Call

Re: UChicago ED Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »
does anyone know whether UC's status checker changes from "Complete" to "under review" or something similar when the committee actually begins their review? 

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 08:01:04 PM »
I've heard that it does.  But then again, this is the first go at an ED cycle.  So who knows.

Anyone have any inkling as to when we will hear?

dred

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 07:40:45 AM »
Perhaps comparing it to the 1L process would be useful? In that event, I don't recall there being an "under review" status. The other two statuses are "decision pending" and "decision mailed," with "decision pending" in addition to a phone call constituting an acceptance, and a "decision pending" later becoming a "decision-mailed" constituting a non-acceptance.

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 08:49:04 AM »
They call EVERYONE who gets admitted? Even 1L's?  That's a lot of phone calls....

dred

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
I believe they attempt to call every admitted 0L. Since they only admit a handful of transfer students, I doubt it would be a nuisance to give them that personal touch too.

If you look at last year's transfer acceptances, they were notified by phone.

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
:::crickets:::

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »
I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been any word... they can't have many applications to go through.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
Yeah, but its their first time doing an ED cycle.  Even if they only have like 40 ED applicants, you have to figure that around 25-30 of those are pretty much equally qualified.  If they are only taking, say, 5 students ED, that becomes a terribly hard decision.

Also, because it is their first go at an early cycle, maybe they are struggling with deciding how many of the qualified applicants to admit early.

Also, its very possible that perhaps they intended the ED program to be primarily for lateral transfers.  In that case, I would not qualify.

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
I don't think it makes any sense to do ED just for laterals.  Essentially they'd be turning away great 'transfer-up' who might otherwise be a shoe-in during the RD process, who would now not have that opportunity. 

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »
That certainly makes just as much, if not more, sense.  I was just throwing it out there as a possibility.  Who knows what they're thinking.  Past-performance is a great indicator of intent.  We ain't got none o dat performance.

Question: do any of you know what the OCI prospects at either UoC or GULC are for transfers?  One issue I've been tossing around is whether I would fare better at my current school's OCI or theirs.  Both schools have about 4x as many employers as mine.  But mine attracts many of the top firms in the region where I want to practice (and i'd likely be at the higher end of the class 2nd semester... hopefully at least top 5%).  Obviously Chicago is Chicago, I'd be thrilled (and bound) to attend. But GULC... less enthusiastic about that one as a whole.

This is all assuming i get in anywhere though.