Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre Law School Job  (Read 1269 times)

OlseMan

• View Profile
Pre Law School Job
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
I am planning on going to law school starting Fall of 2010. I have begun preparation for the LSAT by signing up for a review class as well as studying on my own pretty extensively for the past few months. I would like to study IP in LS. I  graduated undergrad back in '04 with a Criminology and Law degree and have been working in the technology field since. I was thinking of leaving the tech field and getting a job in legal to start getting on the job experience. Most of the positions I see are tailored for current law students so my question is, what type of positions should I be applying to being that I am not currently a law student and looking to get my feet wet in the legal field?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pre Law School Job
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Paralegal/Legal Secretary

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
Whatever is most interesting to you

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »
If you want to do IP, something that would boost your technical background would be good. Many if not most of the IP folks have engineering or CS degrees it seems. Also, IP is pretty broad, are we talking trademark? Patent? Copyright? It couldn't hurt to check for jobs in the patent office, that sort of thing I suspect.
HLS 2010

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:26:56 PM »
Paralegal/Legal Secretary

You charge people for advice?

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 06:12:57 PM »
No, paralegals and legal secretaries charge people for research and writing.
Mercer University School of Law '12

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
No, paralegals and legal secretaries charge people for research and writing.

I see what you did there.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:46 PM »
If you want to do IP, something that would boost your technical background would be good. Many if not most of the IP folks have engineering or CS degrees it seems. Also, IP is pretty broad, are we talking trademark? Patent? Copyright? It couldn't hurt to check for jobs in the patent office, that sort of thing I suspect.
Patent law, in particular, requires a degree with a major in a hard science (chemistry, physics, the ones mentioned above, etc.).  It seems to be a pretty inflexible rule.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:06:43 PM »
Patent law, in particular, requires a degree with a major in a hard science (chemistry, physics, the ones mentioned above, etc.).  It seems to be a pretty inflexible rule.

This is true of patent prosecution, but not patent litigation.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44:29 PM »

I had an offer from a patent law firm and my background is in econ, but I'm pretty handy with math and basic sciences too. I ended up deciding it wasn't for me, but all the same, shows it isn't a terribly hard rule:) 

HLS 2010