Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does your major matter?  (Read 545 times)

jaw5xs

• View Profile
    • Email
Does your major matter?
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »
I was thinking about switching my major to Politics instead of Economics because I feel as though I can do better in Politics.  I'm finishing my second year in undergrad. Basically should have stick with Economics and have a lower major GPA or switch and have a higher major GPA?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does your major matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »
It really depends.

Economics is not traditionally one of the majors that law schools give the mysterious "difficult major" bump.  Your application will certainly be more interesting as an Economics major, but even a small GPA improvement (such as a tenth) would outweigh this advantage.

Why not double major?  Make yourself more interesting and bump up your GPA.

jaw5xs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »
'm sitting at a solid 3.0 right now, but my goal is to increase that to a 3.4 by the time I graduate.  I've taken two econ classes and got B-'s in both and have taken two Politics classes and have gotten a B+ and an A. I was only going to do Econ because I felt it looked better, honestly, but if it doesn't look that much better I might just stick with Politics and maybe do an Econ minor.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 02:15:43 PM »
'm sitting at a solid 3.0 right now, but my goal is to increase that to a 3.4 by the time I graduate.  I've taken two econ classes and got B-'s in both and have taken two Politics classes and have gotten a B+ and an A. I was only going to do Econ because I felt it looked better, honestly, but if it doesn't look that much better I might just stick with Politics and maybe do an Econ minor.

If you're goal is to go to law school, then all that's going to matter is the GPA you pull-off.  Law schools would much rather have the 3.7 poli sci major than a 3.1 chemistry major.  Obviously, this would be a different situation if it was a 3.5 chemistry major v. a 3.7 poli sci major.  In that situation, I don't think anyone can tell you with any sort of authority which one is the better to have.  From what it seems though, schools will not weigh differently an economics major and a political science major.  If that's the case, then you want to simply get the highest possible GPA.  If that means majoring in political science, then major in political science.