Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does your major matter?  (Read 2379 times)

jaw5xs

• View Profile
    • Email
Does your major matter?
« on: April 14, 2009, 01:38:34 PM »
I was thinking about switching my major to Politics instead of Economics because I feel as though I can do better in Politics.  I'm finishing my second year in undergrad. Basically should have stick with Economics and have a lower major GPA or switch and have a higher major GPA?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Does your major matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:39:09 PM »
I majored in Economics. Since being on this board & researching admissions, I've had the thought in the past: "Gee, I should have majored in poli sci."

My GPA would probably be .3 - .4 higher. The chair of the department had told me that Econ majors had around the 4th or 5th lowest GPA in the school. But, you know what, I like Economics. I don't like Poli Sci..forget where you think you'll do better, do what you like. I don't think a higher GPA is worth missing out on studying a subject you enjoy, if you in fact enjoy it.

I hate the fact that we have to cater to admissions so much..but it is part of the game.

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »
Either is fine, do what you like more. As long as your major isn't something like hotel management, you're cool.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:06 PM »
Definitely do whatever will give you a higher GPA.  Majors don't really matter as long as it's not something like PE (although I will say, for all of the "criminal justice" majors I notice, I have yet to see one get into a t14).

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »
Definitely do whatever will give you a higher GPA.  Majors don't really matter as long as it's not something like PE (although I will say, for all of the "criminal justice" majors I notice, I have yet to see one get into a t14).

Would you agree that people generally have higher GPAs in humanities as opposed to a hard science? If so, are you saying that someone should not be a Chemistry/Biology/EE/Math/Finance major because they can get a higher GPA with say, English or Poli Sci?

LSN

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
No

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
Nice work.

LSN

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 08:36:10 PM »
Stay away from engineering.  Everything else gets the green light. :P
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:59:53 PM »
Your major doesn't matter.

If you major in Poli Sci or Econ but only have a 3.2, you are going to look WORST than the Art History major with a 3.7.

Honestly, nothing you do in undergrad will properly prepare you for Law School. Just because you are Poli Sci doesn't mean you'll understand ConLaw any better than the English Major. Just because you are Criminal Justice doesn't mean yer guaranteed to ace that Criminal Law exam.

Major in what you enjoy doing and what you can get the best gpa in, that's all that matters.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09