Can't decide between:

WUSTL
 0 (0%)
William and Mary
 1 (14.3%)
UNC
 6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Need Help Deciding! WUSTL, W&M, UNC  (Read 779 times)

dawsme5

• View Profile
Need Help Deciding! WUSTL, W&M, UNC
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »
GPA - 3.3 LSAT - 169
So I know the rankings of these schools are pretty spread out...Wash-U is 19, W&M is 30, UNC is around 38. However, there are more factors going into the process and I'm having a hard time deciding what I should consider most important.
First, Carolina and W&M are much cheaper than Wash-U even after scholarships. It will be about double the price to go to Wash-U whereas UNC is roughly 15k and W&M 17k a year. Currently I am interested in human rights law which I don't imagine will have a large payout so debt is something I have to take into consideration though I suppose there is always the chance I'll change my mind and all the schools offer LRAPs. Also, I have plans to return to NC (my home) to get a job so Carolina sort of evens itself out in the rankings when you consider that I'll be staying in state. I am also very close to my family and my father hasn't been in very good health for the past few years which makes staying around an appealing option. However, Carolina isn't my best option and I would like to be the best I can be. Their facilities (building, library, court room, etc) were disappointing compared to the other two, but I'm not sure how much this reflects on the education I'd receive there. As a side note, my boyfriend of 3 years is in school in Memphis and St. Louis is the closest I can get with a decent school (I was waitlisted at Vandy). I suppose there are always more plane rides. Anyways, I have a whole great list of pros and cons to all of them - hah - but I would really appreciate talking to someone about their opinions.
Thanks!
Meghan

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Help Deciding! WUSTL, W&M, UNC
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »
I'm an NC native as well, and was accepted to UNC for undergrad and ended up turning it down because I wasn't impressed with my campus visit.  In hind site, I should have thought twice about it.  UNC is a great public institution that will give you great employment prospects.  If it isn't the most exciting, I wouldn't let that sway you away. 

It is the best value of the three, so I vote UNC!  And Memphis is still quite a drive from STL, so it isn't like your next door :-)

PravinLal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »
I have plans to return to NC (my home) to get a job so Carolina sort of evens itself out in the rankings when you consider that I'll be staying in state.

UNC will do very well in NC. 

You should not go to WUSTL b/c it is too expensive and their LRAP is not great.  W&M's LRAP is pretty limited too.  You should consider W&M only if you really prefer the school. 

dawsme5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »
I think one of my biggest concerns is...what if I change my mind about public interest or even staying in NC. Maybe I'll want to try a new place for a little while. Will I regret not going to a "better" school because of more limited options?

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
unc's a great school...

highly underrated.

go there, kiss regrets goodbye.

dawsme5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »
Thanks for your opinions :) I sent my seat deposit in to UNC today but I also have one in at WUSTL which is refundable until May 1 and W&M isn't due til May 1 either so I suppose I still have all the options. But so far, it looks like UNC may be the most practical for my current plans. I think the overachiever part of me is a little disappointed that I'm going to the state school with no scholarship...silly? Probably. But hey, that's me...hah