Law School Discussion

List of schools you will apply to?

;;;;;

• View Profile
List of schools you will apply to?
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
Have you made a list of where you will apply? In an effort to avoid my reading on K's, I will post my working list (provided I can maintain or better my GPA).  giddy up:

U of Chicago (yeah, right)
GULC (probably not)
WUSTL (maybe)
Notre Dame (hopefully)
University of Wisconsin (probably as I am a Wisconsin resident)
Northwestern (yeah, right)
Kent (most likely)
Michigan (yeah, right)
Fordham (maybe?)
USC (no)

Re: List of schools you will apply to?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »
I'm half-way considering to apply for a transfer, although I'm not sure yet.  I'm not in the state I want to be in and my school is not "national."  However, I'm here on a scholarship and my GPA puts me probably around the top 15% of the class (first semester). 

Anyone think it's worth transferring?  I'm at a school ranked 40-50 which is NOT in California.  California is my home (Bay area).  I would love to go back home.

In my haste I forgot to mention some thoughts I had.  I figure my GPA isn't high enough for Stanford or Berkeley.  It'll probably get me into Hastings and Davis.  But is it worth giving up my scholarship, possible shot a journal, etc. etc. to go to a school that is roughly similarly ranked?  I think UCLA is out of the question too.

;;;;;

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
I'm half-way considering to apply for a transfer, although I'm not sure yet.  I'm not in the state I want to be in and my school is not "national."  However, I'm here on a scholarship and my GPA puts me probably around the top 15% of the class (first semester). 

Anyone think it's worth transferring?  I'm at a school ranked 40-50 which is NOT in California.  California is my home (Bay area).  I would love to go back home.

In my haste I forgot to mention some thoughts I had.  I figure my GPA isn't high enough for Stanford or Berkeley.  It'll probably get me into Hastings and Davis.  But is it worth giving up my scholarship, possible shot a journal, etc. etc. to go to a school that is roughly similarly ranked?  I think UCLA is out of the question too.

If I were you, I would apply to Berkley, which is probably a bit of a shot.  On the other hand, you are from California, which might help your chances there considering it is public.  I would also apply to USC and UCLA, where I think you have a good shot.  Who really knows with this crapshoot?  Additionally, I imagine the fact you want to move back home would make for a persuasive personal statement.

You should apply and if you get into one of the schools and decide you don't want to go, you can use the acceptance at your current school to perhaps get more scholarship money.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:38:52 PM »

If I were you, I would apply to Berkley, which is probably a bit of a shot.  On the other hand, you are from California, which might help your chances there considering it is public.  I would also apply to USC and UCLA, where I think you have a good shot.  Who really knows with this crapshoot?  Additionally, I imagine the fact you want to move back home would be make for a persuasive personal statement.

You should apply and if you get into one of the schools and decide you don't want to go, you can use the acceptance at your current school to perhaps get more scholarship money.

Sounds like a plan.  I haven't even really thought about it, so I'm not even sure what I should do to prepare for transferring.  Obviously, I'll wait until after finals to even consider it. 

You've re-energized my desire to transfer!  haha..

dred

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
Stats: Top 10, around top 35%.
Applying to: Chicago ED
If I don't get in (which is likely): NYU, CLS
If my grades are higher this semester: HYS

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
Stats: A+/A+/A-/B+; B in LRW. 3.85, top 3% @ 30-40, Summer Internship with State Supreme Court Chief Justice

Applying to: Chicago ED, GULC EA
If I don't get in to UoC and get the same grades: Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, Northwestern, UVa, Duke, Mich
If I don't get in to UoC and get better grades: add HYS to list
If I get in to UoC and get better grades: be content with my Chicago future!
If I get in to UoC and get worse grades: pray to all that is holy (and beg to the adcom) that UoC doesn't rescind
If I get in to UoC, my grades plummet and UoC retracts: /killself, because I would have given up my slot at GULC.

(In all seriousness, I won't shed a tear if I get in to UoC... amazing school, amazing opportunities, close to my family and where I want to practice... basically my dream school, so eh. It is too sunny out in Stanford's California anyway.)