Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.01 UGPA, 3.9 MBA, 170 LSAT, 30 Years Old  (Read 8696 times)

dave79

• View Profile
2.01 UGPA, 3.9 MBA, 170 LSAT, 30 Years Old
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »
Profile: 2.01 UGPA, 3.9 MBA, 170 LSAT, 30 Years Old (ECON major at top 15 undergrad business program, FIN/ECON at a very good but not great MBA program). Also I haven't taken the LSAT yet but have been getting 170-175 on the actual exams.

Professional: Worked with three companies and been promoted with each one: successful in roles trading securities/options, as a financial analyst, and VP Finance at an early stage internet/technology company. Plan to attain CPA designation before admission to law school.

Arrest Record: 2 DUIs, 1 misdemeanor possession of marijuana. No arrests in last 7 years.

Obviously I didn't get off on the right foot in college and my early twenties, and will have to craft my personal statement to reflect that. I really want to study corporate/securities law, and to a lesser extent international law, and get the J.D. Does anyone have any advice about what schools I should target (either a range based on ranking/selectivity, or specific schools where non-traditional applicants tend to fair well)?

My plan as of now is to apply to a ton of schools, maybe 30, simply because I have no idea where I fit in due to the extremity of my undergrad GPA and my arrest record.

So where can I get in? any thoughts? any non-traditionals that can share some advice for me?

THANKS - DAVE   

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2.01 UGPA, 3.9 MBA, 170 LSAT, 30 Years Old
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:29 PM »
Get a real LSAT 1st, and then we can talk. Most people score several points below their practice test scores. While you may be the exception, on average, you are not.

Plus, regardless of law school acceptance, you might have an issue with the bar. Again, one thing at a time. Take the LSAT, get a real score, then we can figure it out.

dave79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »
Get a real LSAT 1st, and then we can talk. Most people score several points below their practice test scores. While you may be the exception, on average, you are not.

Plus, regardless of law school acceptance, you might have an issue with the bar. Again, one thing at a time. Take the LSAT, get a real score, then we can figure it out.

Point well taken. I'm hearing that from a lot of people now about a performance drop on the real thing.

In terms of the bar, I need to research this. What I am hoping is that being 11 years removed from any transgression will help me to make a good case.

FortheDefense

• Time means nothing in infinity and jelly dougnuts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 05:51:36 PM »
Profile: 2.01 UGPA, 3.9 MBA, 170 LSAT, 30 Years Old (ECON major at top 15 undergrad business program, FIN/ECON at a very good but not great MBA program). Also I haven't taken the LSAT yet but have been getting 170-175 on the actual exams.

Professional: Worked with three companies and been promoted with each one: successful in roles trading securities/options, as a financial analyst, and VP Finance at an early stage internet/technology company. Plan to attain CPA designation before admission to law school.

Arrest Record: 2 DUIs, 1 misdemeanor possession of marijuana. No arrests in last 7 years.

Obviously I didn't get off on the right foot in college and my early twenties, and will have to craft my personal statement to reflect that. I really want to study corporate/securities law, and to a lesser extent international law, and get the J.D. Does anyone have any advice about what schools I should target (either a range based on ranking/selectivity, or specific schools where non-traditional applicants tend to fair well)?

My plan as of now is to apply to a ton of schools, maybe 30, simply because I have no idea where I fit in due to the extremity of my undergrad GPA and my arrest record.

So where can I get in? any thoughts? any non-traditionals that can share some advice for me?

THANKS - DAVE   

Go for it....heck, I am 47 and am working on a MS but have always wanted to go to law school and then practice. I said to myself, if things go right, I will be 50 when I graduate, then I said how old will I be if I dont go to law school in 3 years. Same answer. My undergrad GPA was horrible at one institution, stellar at another, and mediocre from my degree granting institution (UMW). Hey, its the sister school of UVA! I live in the DC area so my choices are many. Its going to depend on my LSAT score which I will take in September. I am studying right now each day. Analytical Reasoning is tough, but Logical and Reading Comprehension I do good in.Am I willing to go long distance to law schools that I know I would be accepted in? Not sure. Right now its a step at a time, but I am progressing. Good luck! PS  Easy on the drinking LOL...
"I could have gotten a conviction on Simpson's police statement alone!"
Vincent B
"If you dont police the police then who does? YOU police the police by your verdict, so stand up and show some integrity"
Johnny C

The Trial of the Century

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »
You will be a competitive applicant at pretty much any law school with a 170 lsat! The MBA certainly doesn't hurt. I wouldn't worry about the legal problems from the past. The admissions committee will not be thrilled about your criminal history but just disclose and and you will be fine. BTW, our profile is quite similar. (30 years old, 3.8 in MBA, 167 lsat 1.9 ugpa, DUI, and possession of Marihuana in my early 20's) We are fighting an uphill battle but we will prevail. Stay in contact with me throughout the process. Maybe we can share useful insight that will be beneficial to the two of us! Take care   

This is almost certainly not true.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »
The DUIís should not hurt you so long as you disclose everything and take responsibility. It will help that there has been several years since you got them. You will have to explain the circumstances behind them on your LS and bar apps, but so far (fingers crossed) the bar has not had any issue with my 2 DUIís from 10 years ago. (FYI keep ALL the records you have from the incident becuse the bar will ask to see them, so if you have them, keep them).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »
Definitely need to get a real LSAT first. The UGPA is going to hurt a lot, but some schools will bite with a high LSAT if you get a score like that on the real thing. My advice would be to apply to as many schools you can that have take high LSAT/low UGPA splitters with similar numbers in the past, then see where you can get in.

You might get a full ride or two or three from some lower ranked schools but be careful. A lot of these schools will have scholarship requirements tied to your 1L gpa, and your odds of keeping them aren't good. A top school is out. Even if you manage to crack the top 25-30 by some miracle you're looking at paying full freight. If you're going to have to take out loans for school my best advice would be to either go part-time and work your way through school, or try to find a school that will give you a full-ride or close to it with NO 1L gpa strings attached to keeping the scholarship.

Good luck.

Look here:

lawschoolnumbers.com

cheesefist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »
From everything I have been reading the past few weeks I would say:

You can get it with a good essay, addendums (should that be addendi?), and full disclosure, provide you score above 165.  You are probably not looking at getting in at above a top 50 school, however, unless you go part time. 

Still, there is a small... and from what I can tell, it is small... chance you could transfer to a better school later. 

I think I agree with the above poster:  go to the best school you can that will give you a full ride, and then just work really, really hard to be the best.  The lack of debt will make up for your inability to get the "best" jobs in big law. 

This is, of course, the opinion of someone who has only done 40 to 60 hours of internet research, and not the opinion of someone who has actually applied, attended, or made admissions decisions for a law school.  FYI.

CheeseFist
Anonymous and sarcastic response to an essay on why you should not go to Law School:

"Children, do not be astronauts since most don't go to space.
Do not strive to excel since that path has been well trodden."

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »
Dave, I'm with ya, buddy. I'm in pretty much the same boat (except MS in Finance), but I have (I hope) the advantage of having my awful UG GPA 20 years further in the rearview mirror and none of the legal issues (although it sounds like those can be overcome, which is encouraging for you).

I'm similarly hopeful for a good LSAT, basing my belief I can score well on the 165 I got 18 years ago with minimal study (I know the curve is different, now, etc. etc, but still..).

Good luck and we'll see how the landscape looks after September 26.

Splitters of the world, unite!

lawrookie

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:23:50 AM »
You mention a 1.9UGPA how is that possible? I thought all colleges requires at least a 2.0 to graduate.
Don't most MBA's require at least a 2.5 to start?

You will be a competitive applicant at pretty much any law school with a 170 lsat! The MBA certainly doesn't hurt. I wouldn't worry about the legal problems from the past. The admissions committee will not be thrilled about your criminal history but just disclose and and you will be fine. BTW, our profile is quite similar. (30 years old, 3.8 in MBA, 167 lsat 1.9 ugpa, DUI, and possession of Marihuana in my early 20's) We are fighting an uphill battle but we will prevail. Stay in contact with me throughout the process. Maybe we can share useful insight that will be beneficial to the two of us! Take care