Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Facebook and Law School...  (Read 4250 times)

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook and Law School...
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »
Aside from the potential reputation issues that Facebook may cause, some people believe that facebook users tend to have lower grades...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/facebookusersgetworsegradesincollege

Sitting in the back row in Family Law right now, I can see at least a few facebook pages on the laptops ahead of me... and only 2 Word docs with people taking notes.
YMMV...
Rob

I do appreciate your remarks about the possible grade issue, but I have never been THAT into facebook...
Also, I think it's ironic and amusing that you are answering this thread while cautioning the ills of in-class facebook use instead of taking notes yourself!  I'm not trying to be a smart ass; I just think it's funny  ;D
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »
Sitting in the back row in Family Law right now, I can see at least a few facebook pages on the laptops ahead of me... and only 2 Word docs with people taking notes.
YMMV...
Rob

And you're on LSD...
UB Law 2012

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »
There's no reason not to use facebook, in fact I think it is a net positive at it enables networking and coordination that might otherwise be difficult (btw HLS has had "facebooks" long before the internet....). Just don't be extremely unprofessional. Pics nearly naked, totally drunk or otherwise compromised would be unwise. Also don't go joining a bunch of extreme groups - example, a kid started a group that was "x company sucks" and even made a website about terrible x-company was. Then decided he really wanted a job at a firm which did a lot of work for x-company. Partner googled the kid's name, first hit is x-companysucks.com - no offer for the kid.
HLS 2010

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
Our Career Services Dept actually ENcourages us to have a Facebook and LinkedIn profile for networking and marketing purposes.  You just need to arrange your privacy settings correctly, be careful about what you post, and monitor your profile to make sure what people post about you is clean.

Some firms actually create LinkedIn profiles for their attorneys.  An informative blog re: online social networking for lawyers here-
http://linkedinlawyer.blogspot.com/
Fed gov't atty

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 11:07:24 PM »
I toned down my Facebook page just enough so (1) it shows my personality through my interesting activities, groups, and so forth (something that is hard to spit out in a cover letter or short interview).  (2) It doesn't show me belonging to any radical groups or doing anything too crazy.

I think this is the best approach.  Personally, I'd bet that your Facebook page could be a plus if, for example, the potential employer creeping on your page sees that you are a "dog person" and is a "dog person" herself.
_______
.|E|R|S.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
The answer is simple:

Block EVERYBODY who isn't a personal friend. Don't let anybody view your MySpace or Facebook page unless you know EXACTLY who they are.

Disable all public features, and don't be one of those idiots who adds a Professor as a friend.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »
My profile is not only private, but it is not even searchable.  I.e., if you are not my facebook friend and try to find me on facebook, it's like I'm not even there.

I haven't had any problems.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN