Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Facebook and Law School...  (Read 4155 times)

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook and Law School...
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:42:33 AM »
Common sense isn't so common.  ;)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »
I'll start by saying that I'm coming at this from the idea that if I'm an employer and I Google your name, I'm going to be very suspicious if I find absolutely nothing.

I think a lot of the advice about social media is so defensive that you might shoot yourself in the foot, particularly if you end up applying for non-traditional legal jobs or non-legal jobs when you're out of law school.

I say the best defense is a good offense. Build a really good Linkdin profile and link to it on places like here to push it up the Google rank. Make a Twitter account with your real name, and just be sure to not put up a bunch of tweets about drinking, smoking weed, and property damage. If you can wall off a half-hour per day, write a blog (preferably on a topic other than your law school). Get out in front of this stuff and instead of just avoiding Google as a liability, make it an asset.

That said, my Facebook account is as private as I can make it. I can't be friended, seen, or even searched for. That's less about avoiding embarrassment than about not being friended by every Tom, male private part, and Harry who might know me. I use Facebook for real friendships and acquaintances, and except for a few outliers, I've at least met everyone I'm friends with there. But that does do a pretty good job keeping my profile out of Google.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
I'll start by saying that I'm coming at this from the idea that if I'm an employer and I Google your name, I'm going to be very suspicious if I find absolutely nothing.

HR meeting: "I'm very suspicious...we didnt find anything when we Googled his name...no Facebook, no Linked In.."

I use Facebook for real friendships and acquaintances, and except for a few outliers, I've at least met everyone I'm friends with there.

If you've met everyone you're friends with online, then you've done a TERRIBLE job of building friendships during the many years you were alive that Facebook wasnt around/popular.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 03:42:55 PM »

I think a lot of the advice about social media is so defensive that you might shoot yourself in the foot, particularly if you end up applying for non-traditional legal jobs or non-legal jobs when you're out of law school.

I say the best defense is a good offense. Build a really good Linkdin profile and link to it on places like here to push it up the Google rank. Make a Twitter account with your real name, and just be sure to not put up a bunch of tweets about drinking, smoking weed, and property damage. If you can wall off a half-hour per day, write a blog (preferably on a topic other than your law school). Get out in front of this stuff and instead of just avoiding Google as a liability, make it an asset.

That said, my Facebook account is as private as I can make it. I can't be friended, seen, or even searched for. That's less about avoiding embarrassment than about not being friended by every Tom, male private part, and Harry who might know me. I use Facebook for real friendships and acquaintances, and except for a few outliers, I've at least met everyone I'm friends with there. But that does do a pretty good job keeping my profile out of Google.

This sounds like a huge waste of time. Again, first year associate, and I know of nobody in my class or my firm with a linked in profile, which isn't to say that nobody has one, just that it's not viewed as terribly important. Nor twitter. Blogging, not really a positive. Firms might tolerate it, but they don't like it necessarily.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »

This sounds like a huge waste of time. Again, first year associate, and I know of nobody in my class or my firm with a linked in profile, which isn't to say that nobody has one, just that it's not viewed as terribly important. Nor twitter. Blogging, not really a positive. Firms might tolerate it, but they don't like it necessarily.

Forget waste of time, it's paranoid and lame. I think it's sad that some people are so caught up with all that stuff..

LSN

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
Blogging, not really a positive. Firms might tolerate it, but they don't like it necessarily.

What's wrong with blogging?
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
Blogging, not really a positive. Firms might tolerate it, but they don't like it necessarily.

The poster you quoted did not say that blogging is wrong.

LSN

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »

I don't think firms strongly dislike it, but blogging is stating your personal opinions to the public and might related to matters relevant to the firm. They will at least want to make sure you understand what is appropriate to blog about and what is not appropriate to blog about.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »
I think online networking is important. I got my 1L summer job (and a lot of other opportunities) through Twitter, my blog, and other networking sites.

Just be sure to manage your online identity appropriately.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 09:59:43 PM »
Aside from the potential reputation issues that Facebook may cause, some people believe that facebook users tend to have lower grades...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/facebookusersgetworsegradesincollege

Sitting in the back row in Family Law right now, I can see at least a few facebook pages on the laptops ahead of me... and only 2 Word docs with people taking notes.
YMMV...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY