Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Environmental Law--Vermont? S.J. Quinney in Utah?  (Read 472 times)

sambrose

• View Profile
Environmental Law--Vermont? S.J. Quinney in Utah?
« on: April 11, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »
My two top accepted law schools are Vermont Law School and also S.J. Quinney in Utah.  I am interested in environmental law, and while Vermont is ranked #1, I'm still torn. 

Vermont Law school is in South Royalton, a town of about 3,000 people, with the nearest "big" city about an hour away.  It's ranked a third-tier law school otherwise.  It is just a law school, not a full college.  Bar passing rate is about 60%.

The University of Utah Law School is located in Salt Lake City, Utah.  The entire state has so many activities and sites that are very intriguing.  Also being located in a big city has appeal.  It's ranked 56th overall.  Bar pass rate about 92%

I'm struggling weighting the environmental rankings with the environmental surroundings.  My girlfriend's up for either, but wonders what she'd do (she's an RN) in such a small city while I'm studying, since Vermont's college takes up over 2,200 of the 3,000 people.  I've thought the same thing, but then the #1 ranking comes back into my mind.   

Any thoughts?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Environmental Law--Vermont? S.J. Quinney in Utah?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
Environmental law is pretty complex, and one area where people do pay attention to specialty rankings. Iím spent my whole LS career focused on environmental law  and Vermont grads pop up places you would expect to be filled with other hire ranking grads. All that being said, lots of people who go to Vermont specialize in environmental law, so you have more local competition from the same school for the same jobs.

Where do you want to work? Personally I think itís a good idea to go to school in a decent sized legal market because you can network more effectively. And networking will be key to getting and environmental law job (firm or PI) because they donít do a lot of OCI for these positions. You can do that at Utah, you canít at Vermont. Plus from Vermont you will have to move to intern, you can likely intern at a PI organization in SLC even a fed position w/o moving over the summer.

Like was mentioned on another thread you could always do Vermontís Mater of Environmental Law Studies degree in the summer while attending Utah. Its set up so people from other schools can come there and get it without actually getting their JD at Vermont.

One more thing, out west here its more focused on Natural resources law then strictly environmental law, there is a difference. Make sure you understand that difference when picking a school.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

sambrose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 02:04:15 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I really appreciate it.

I forgot to mention that I am a WI resident, and was waitlisted for University of Wisconsin.

Since it's such a highly ranked school, and since I would get in state tuition, that's also factoring into my decision.  I don't know the likelihood of getting into WI, though I've heard it's tough since there's no seat deposit.  One of the advisors said this year, they're really not sure to expect with the economy the way it is.  More WI residents might stick around, with fewer out of staters.

Anyway, if I want to study environmental law, and if I did get accepted to WI (which I likely wouldn't hear about until June or July), should I go for it?  It's a higher ranked school and I'd get in state tuition.  Or if environmental law is what I want, should I stick to either Utah or Vermont? 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I really appreciate it.

I forgot to mention that I am a WI resident, and was waitlisted for University of Wisconsin.

Since it's such a highly ranked school, and since I would get in state tuition, that's also factoring into my decision.  I don't know the likelihood of getting into WI, though I've heard it's tough since there's no seat deposit.  One of the advisors said this year, they're really not sure to expect with the economy the way it is.  More WI residents might stick around, with fewer out of staters.

Anyway, if I want to study environmental law, and if I did get accepted to WI (which I likely wouldn't hear about until June or July), should I go for it?  It's a higher ranked school and I'd get in state tuition.  Or if environmental law is what I want, should I stick to either Utah or Vermont? 

Prsonally I'd go local and cheap first, then decide between the other schools. If you go to Utah you shluld plan on saying in the mountian west area, as its a regional school (all 3 are).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.