Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC vs Fordham  (Read 1043 times)

katx

• View Profile
    • Email
UIUC vs Fordham
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
I am choosing between UIUC and Fordham, both are ranked #27.  I can see myself practicing law in either Chicago or New York.  I received some $ from UIUC, but not sure for Fordham.  Money will certainly be a factor in my decision.

I am torn between the big city vs. the collegiate feel of a big ten campus.  Thoughts?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UIUC vs Fordham
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
If money's a factor and you don't have a geographic preference, UIUC.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:28:17 PM »
I am choosing between UIUC and Fordham, both are ranked #27.  I can see myself practicing law in either Chicago or New York.  I received some $ from UIUC, but not sure for Fordham.  Money will certainly be a factor in my decision.

I am torn between the big city vs. the collegiate feel of a big ten campus.  Thoughts?

With your emphasis on the money factor, remember that New York is going to be WAY more expensive for cost of living than Champaign is. Once you find out your financial aid status from Fordham, calculate what COL is going to run you for three years also and estimate your total debt.

Statistically you're a bit more likely to land in big law out of Fordham if that's your goal, but both place decently.

I'd pick Illinois if Fordham doesn't throw a lot more money at you than UIUC did.

katx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:44:40 AM »
Thanks for your responses!

WSU - what is COL?

Also, I received my Fordham package today and I don't think they are offering me any money.  They usually tell you, if they are giving you anything, with the acceptance letter right?  Does anyone know Fordham's tuition for '09-'10?  I believe UIUC is $40K.

I'm also curious as to how these two schools are viewed.  I know they have the same rank, but what is the general perception on each school?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:57:59 AM »

With your emphasis on the money factor, remember that New York is going to be WAY more expensive for cost of living than Champaign is. Once you find out your financial aid status from Fordham, calculate what COL is going to run you for three years also and estimate your total debt.

Statistically you're a bit more likely to land in big law out of Fordham if that's your goal, but both place decently.

I'd pick Illinois if Fordham doesn't throw a lot more money at you than UIUC did.

Ranked #27...on what? That's one ranking...USNWR. Forget rankings. These are two top-notch schools. UIUC is great, as is Fordham. And remember, UIUC gives u the best of both worlds. You can go to Chicago on weekends.

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »
COL is cost of living.  In this case Champaign is going to be a ton cheaper than New York.  Both schools do well in their markets.  You also have the ability to get instate tuition at UIUC (I am not certain how hard it is).  But I would choose UIUC

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »

Ranked #27...on what? That's one ranking...USNWR. Forget rankings. These are two top-notch schools. UIUC is great, as is Fordham. And remember, UIUC gives u the best of both worlds. You can go to Chicago on weekends.

So your argument is that the rankings, which say the two schools are basically the same, are meaningless because the two schools are basically the same?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »

So your argument is that the rankings, which say the two schools are basically the same, are meaningless because the two schools are basically the same?

Call me crazy, but, yes! This sounds like a paradox, but it isn't. Consider them similar, not b/c of their similar rankings, but b/c of what the schools provide in terms of programs, employment opportunities, "prestige" (which I will concede is tied to, gulp, USNWR rankings) and quality of education. And remember, I cited one specific ranking to ignore...USNWR. When two schools are that close, go with the money (to a degree) and the heart.

I like both schools.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 12:26:21 AM »

Call me crazy, but, yes! This sounds like a paradox, but it isn't. Consider them similar, not b/c of their similar rankings, but b/c of what the schools provide in terms of programs, employment opportunities, "prestige" (which I will concede is tied to, gulp, USNWR rankings) and quality of education. And remember, I cited one specific ranking to ignore...USNWR. When two schools are that close, go with the money (to a degree) and the heart.

I like both schools.

It doesn't sound like a paradox, it sounds like a brain hemorrhage. This is one case where the rankings, by your own analysis, actually worked.

Still, the moral is sound.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »
I agree that both schools do well in their markets (though there don't appear to be recent hard numbers available on this point), and also that living in Champaign-Urbana will definitely be cheaper than NYC.  While I didn't apply to Fordham, I can say that I really liked IL because there's a real laid back atmosphere, whereas I've heard NY schools can be pretty competitive regardless of a school's rank (I'm sure there are Fordham students around who can speak to this).

All things being equal, make sure you visit!  The feel you get from a school, its students, and the town can make all the difference.  It did for me.  Congrats!