Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Finding jobs in smaller firms (1L, 2L, post grad)  (Read 6943 times)

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Finding jobs in smaller firms (1L, 2L, post grad)
« on: April 11, 2009, 01:26:31 AM »
Alright, I hope someone has some experience in this. Finding the large firms are pretty easy. How do you go about finding smaller boutique type firms, and how do you make them hire you? Predominantly interested in NYC, but any general advice or stories are of course most welcome.

Pizza will be served in room 190. 
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Finding jobs in smaller firms (1L, 2L, post grad)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:10:36 PM »
Finding them is pretty easy. Do a Martindale search for lawyers in the practice group you are interested in. As for having them hire you, I would search for some of Matthies' threads on the matter. It's mostly about networking.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »
As for having them hire you, I would search for some of Matthies' threads on the matter. It's mostly about networking.

see generally http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4013253.msg5153383.html#msg5153383
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »
I can assure you LSD is a fuckload better than my school's career services. I wish I was kidding.

I don't really know what I want to do. I know that I don't want BigLaw, I don't need a 150k paycheck, and I only intend to stay in law for a short time. Small firms seem good. Been thinking about some Gov jobs too, but they generally require you to move to DC...so... @#!* dat *&^%.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »
Been thinking about some Gov jobs too, but they generally require you to move to DC...so... @#!* dat poo.

Not at all. US is the largest employer in the country, so gov't jobs are everywhere.  Not to mention state and local gov'ts everywhere as well.  I have a federal job after graduation and it's in the South.
Fed gov't atty

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »
Best way to get into the small firm scene is to join your local Bar Association and sign up for the specific sections you're interested in. Go to some of the meetings and the majority of the attorneys will be from small firms and they will wonder why the hell a student is at one of their meetings. They will also be impressed and soon you'll have an entire network of small lawyers with interests similar to your own and this will eventually (hopefully) lead you to a job. This is the best way to find a job in a small firm.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
Been thinking about some Gov jobs too, but they generally require you to move to DC...so... @#!* dat poo.

Not at all. US is the largest employer in the country, so gov't jobs are everywhere.  Not to mention state and local gov'ts everywhere as well.  I have a federal job after graduation and it's in the South.

Let me reprahse. I would consider the good Gov jobs :)

And haulin_oats, I saw Matthies mentioning something like that in one of his posts too, I think I'll give it a try.

Uhm, actually, does this also apply in NYC, or are there no small firms here? :(

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Bad re-phrasing :P

Of course there a ton of small firms in NYC.  They tend to be more specialized though, so you might want to narrow your interests down before looking.  Networking is pretty much the same anywhere.
Fed gov't atty

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »
I have a job at a boutique litigation firm in NYC this summer, but I don't know that I have much to offer by way of advice.  I go to school in NYC, and this firm was participating in my school's OCI program.  I didn't have to do any legwork to make connections beforehand.

The firm is less than 40 attorneys, and I was told in my interview that they do not hire attorneys straight out of law school because they are so small.  They prefer people with experience, and thus do their hiring laterally.  That doesn't affect you for 1L summer, when it's not that important to get a job offer, but it wouldn't be a good situation after 2L, when you're hoping to get an offer that you can keep in your pocket for post-graduation.  If you definitely want to do the small firm route, though, and if this place is at all typical, then you might want to plan to work elsewhere for a few years to get some experience/training.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »
As for having them hire you, I would search for some of Matthies' threads on the matter. It's mostly about networking.

see generally http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4013253.msg5153383.html#msg5153383

This is a forum, not a journal article worthy of bluebooking... feminine hygiene product.