Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle University or McGeorge?  (Read 1189 times)

softballgurl_55

• View Profile
Seattle University or McGeorge?
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
Im moving from New York City to the west coast and I dont know which school will offer better career opportunities? what are your thoughts?

WSULeifJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seattle University or McGeorge?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »
I think Seattle gets a bit more respect. If price tags were equal, and you have no preference between living around Seattle or living around Sacramento, SU would be the better choice.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 02:54:42 AM »
Both are really good schools. That's a toss-up. Career prospects might be better at McGeorge, depending on what you want to do. But seattle has just two law schools UW and SU, and the Seattle area depends on both for its supply of talent. A top-10% grad can work in Seattle or the northwest, but not likely anywhere else. Pacific is also a very regional, even "local" school.

That said, I think your biglaw opportunities are probably better out of Pacific, whereas your government and public interest jobs are likely better out of SU. After all, Pacific competes with the Cali four plus Hastings, not to mention Davis, San Diego, USF, and even Southwestern for public interest jobs. 

SU has a better Environmental Law program, a better writing program and a better faculty, IMHO. Plus, Seattle is more New Yorkish than any Cali city.

Scott Boras, ARod's agent, came out of Pacific, and he is doing quite well.

iyl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:03:40 AM »
Many McGeorge grads go into government as well - AG's office, State Leg, various gov't agencies. You can also intern with a gov't agency during your 2L/3L year, or extern with a state/federal judge.  After 1L year, many students study abroad in Salzberg, Austria and take classes with Justice Kennedy. If you are interested in trial work, we have a great advocacy program. Faculty members are very accessible and friendly.

It really depends on what type of law you want to practice.  Without knowing more, it's hard to give advice.  However,  since you are from NYC/the East Coast I would DEFINITELY recommend visiting both campuses before making a decision.  Sacramento has changed a lot recently and while it's not quite as urban as San Francisco or Los Angeles, it does have some fun areas (Midtown, for example). Wherever you go, it'll be your home for the next 3 years - just something to keep in mind.

hp317

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:07:21 AM »
Today, I looked at the US News '10 rankings--McGeorge moved to Tier 3. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments regarding this? I am confused on whether to choose Seattle or McGeorge...and desperately need some insight!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:09:26 AM »
Today, I looked at the US News '10 rankings--McGeorge moved to Tier 3. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments regarding this? I am confused on whether to choose Seattle or McGeorge...and desperately need some insight!

Pay no attention to that. McGeorge is a good school and certainly on par w/SU. It moves in and out of TTT every other year.

hp317

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 01:51:17 AM »
if thats the case, how is it considered to be up to par with SU? Explanation would be appreciated! (Just want to make sure I have as much information as possible)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:19:44 AM »
if thats the case, how is it considered to be up to par with SU? Explanation would be appreciated! (Just want to make sure I have as much information as possible)

McGeorge is consistently ranked about the same as SU, if rankings are the question. If quality of education is the question, there are sites you can go to where the critiques are similar (namely Vault or Top Law Schools).

Both schools are about 75-100 caliber, regardless of what happens in an individual year. Don't take the rankings too literally b/c they are nothing more than musical chairs at the lower end. Just a couple of years ago, Southwestern looked like it was headed for top-100, then last year, it was a TTTT, now it's back in TTT. Musical chairs, my friend.

Any TTT can be considered top-100 or on par w/top 100, it just so happens that there can only be 100 schools in the top-100 in any given year.

Luxhx77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 02:36:29 AM »
So are you planning to go back to NY with your degree?  If so, I don't think either are a great fit.  Really it comes down to whether you want to practice in Washington or Sacramento.  Both schools don't travel all that well.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »
So are you planning to go back to NY with your degree?  If so, I don't think either are a great fit.  Really it comes down to whether you want to practice in Washington or Sacramento.  Both schools don't travel all that well.

This is true. But if you stay on the west coast, go to Pacific, not SU. While it's a very good school from which to get your law education, it doesn't provide great jobs right out of school. SU's reach is basically a 20 block radius...literally! Put it this way, A Pacific grad can work in Cali and Seattle. An SU grad can only work in Seattle...downtown...a few blocks from the school...that's it, really. In the top-5% you may be able to move to Cali with a little luck. 

If you want to work in NY, you'd best go to a school in the east, unless you can get into Stanford, Berkeley (which would travel better than any other west schools). UCLA might get you there in entertainment law, but you'd still have to rely on career services and networking a lot. I do know of one associate from SU in a NY BigLaw firm...but that's like winning the lotto...probably knew somebody.