Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Now what? GULC (45K) vs Vandy (81K)???  (Read 1450 times)

frankzone

• View Profile
Now what? GULC (45K) vs Vandy (81K)???
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:54:01 PM »
Hi guys!

First I wanna thank all the kind responses to my previous post (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4019038.0.html). You guys are just great! JeNeSaisLaw, GhostofTomJoad, Contract2008, observationalist, and everyone else... appreciate the help!

I really liked what I see here about Vandy, and just about to put down the deposit. Then I received a letter from GULC offering a 15k/year merit-based scholarship, which runs up to 45k in 3 years.

So now it comes down to this: Vandy (81K) vs. GULC (45K), provided that I don't stink exceptionally in the class. I'm OK with small towns, big cities, country music, doesn't really matter. But I noticed GULC is just two blocks away from the White House, that's kinda cool (might bump into Obama...)

I've got about 20K right now, so if I go with Vandy, I don't need loans the first year. For GULC,I'm still 30K short for the first year. I could try to get a loan or borrow from friends, but that's a hefty amount.

Do you think GULC is 36K better than Vandy (so to speak)? Any thought?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Now what? GULC (45K) vs Vandy (81K)???
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »

Yes.

frankzone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:17:40 AM »
Oh, one more thing, if I'm putting down deposits at both schools, would it cause problems?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:07:18 AM »
Oh, one more thing, if I'm putting down deposits at both schools, would it cause problems?

Nope, happens all the time.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:15:24 AM »

... with a caveat- some schools add stipulations when they give you scholarships.  It's worth reading over the letters.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »

... with a caveat- some schools add stipulations when they give you scholarships.  It's worth reading over the letters.

Yep, but presumably OP wouldn't ask if either school told him not to send in two deposits.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »
Usually Georgetown's scholarship acceptance stipulation is that you withdraw from any other schools to which you've been admitted.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

VandyGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »
As my name suggests, I'm a bit biased, but if you actually want to enjoy your law school experience, go with Vandy.  My caveat would be that if you want to stay in D.C. after law school, you should go to G'town.  However, many of my fellow Vandy grads have jobs all over the country, including DC.  I actually have a graduate degree from G'town Law, and my experience in Nashville was much better than my DC experience.  The one or two spots in the US News rankings are meaningless; if you do well at Vandy, you will have plenty of opportunities available to you (assuming the economy improves).       

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
As my name suggests, I'm a bit biased, but if you actually want to enjoy your law school experience, go with Vandy

I enjoy my experience thoroughly. So there.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

flip side

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »
Hi guys!

First I wanna thank all the kind responses to my previous post (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4019038.0.html). You guys are just great! JeNeSaisLaw, GhostofTomJoad, Contract2008, observationalist, and everyone else... appreciate the help!

I really liked what I see here about Vandy, and just about to put down the deposit. Then I received a letter from GULC offering a 15k/year merit-based scholarship, which runs up to 45k in 3 years.

So now it comes down to this: Vandy (81K) vs. GULC (45K), provided that I don't stink exceptionally in the class. I'm OK with small towns, big cities, country music, doesn't really matter. But I noticed GULC is just two blocks away from the White House, that's kinda cool (might bump into Obama...)

I've got about 20K right now, so if I go with Vandy, I don't need loans the first year. For GULC,I'm still 30K short for the first year. I could try to get a loan or borrow from friends, but that's a hefty amount.

i wish i had some good advice for you :(  i'm only an 0l, still deciding myself, but i think gulc is great (it's 2 blocks from the capitol, btw, not white house.  although the white house is walkable!).  i don't know too much about vandy, although i've worked in nashville & it's an awesome place to live.