Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting Married while in Law School?  (Read 4277 times)

futurelawyergal

• View Profile
    • Email
Getting Married while in Law School?
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
I'm an engaged 0L. I don't have a wedding date set yet but I wanted to get some insight from current law students on when the best time to have the wedding would be. I am considering my 1L summer because I'm assuming whatever job I have will not be as intense as my 2L summer when I am considered more valuable. Are winter breaks out of the question? I'm guessing 1L winter is definitely out. Should I wait until I graduate? I'm worried I will be too busy studying for the bar/ starting a job in the 1st year out. Does anyone have any experience planning a wedding during law school? My fiancee is flexible too. Thanks guys!

nsync

• View Profile
Re: Getting Married while in Law School?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »

Are you asking how much free time and what courses you need to write a rock-solid prenup?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
I don't have experience planning a wedding while in law school, but I did plan while in another graduate program and working full time.  It was a major mistake.  My wedding was roughly 100 people and it still was a ton of work and time and stressful and all that.  I would really consider waiting until the summer after 3L/bar.  A friend of mine planned her wedding for that time and although wedding planning doesn't get any easier/less stressful, she found it was the least stressful/easiest time to plan for.

Good luck!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:17:47 AM »
I'm thinking about getting married either summer after 2L or summer after 3L... I'll let her do all the planning though.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:02:04 AM »
I got married in June after first year.  It isn't bad planning a wedding as long as your fiance is willing to carry more of the burden.  I worked hard during the week, never going out on weeknights.  I would finish up my work for Monday on Fridays so I could devote my weekend, if necessary, to wedding plans.  If you budget your time well, you'll be fine. 

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »
A friend of mine is marrying a 1L at another school during write-on.  Don't do that.
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
If you're considering having the wedding the summer after 3L, do it after the bar, and make sure you can basically get the vast majority of the work done by the end of the school year. Then during the bar study period you're just tying up loose ends. This will work significantly better if your finance is not also in law school and/or you have family members will to help out.

SamE397

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:42:03 AM »
Honestly, if I chose to get married while I was in law school, I probably would want to just go somewhere nice for a long-weekend/week during the 1l summer get married there and have a reception for family and friends but then again I also realize women have a slightly different perspective on these issues.   

futurelawyergal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:42:17 AM »
Honestly, if I chose to get married while I was in law school, I probably would want to just go somewhere nice for a long-weekend/week during the 1l summer get married there and have a reception for family and friends but then again I also realize women have a slightly different perspective on these issues.   

That is exactly what I want but my fiancee and I have big families who want a more traditional wedding. We shall see who prevails. Thanks for the insight everyone!

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »
I'm an engaged 0L. I don't have a wedding date set yet but I wanted to get some insight from current law students on when the best time to have the wedding would be. I am considering my 1L summer because I'm assuming whatever job I have will not be as intense as my 2L summer when I am considered more valuable. Are winter breaks out of the question? I'm guessing 1L winter is definitely out. Should I wait until I graduate? I'm worried I will be too busy studying for the bar/ starting a job in the 1st year out. Does anyone have any experience planning a wedding during law school? My fiancee is flexible too. Thanks guys!

I say either before school or during 1L winter.