Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSU (free) v. Tulane ($20k)  (Read 1065 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LSU (free) v. Tulane ($20k)
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »
See today's post at www.zeroLblog.com for more details.

Basically, for someone with connections to Louisiana but possible aspirations to practice in Texas - is Tulane worth an extra $60k?  I said no, but I'm still conflicted.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LSU (free) v. Tulane ($20k)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:49 AM »
This is about as tough as a question as there is.  A lot depends on how much debt this student has and is willing to take on.  With no previous debt, I'd lean towards Tulane.  If the student has taken out plenty previously, I wouldn't compound it.

One thing that might be worth consider, the op went to LSU undergrad.  It's generally considered a good idea to diversify one's education.  I don't know if in-bred pedigrees are as looked down upon as they are in other fields, but it might be a very good idea for the student consider moving to Tulane.  Also think, in LA, the op will be able to take advantage of many more alumni networks having gone to both LSU and Tulane.  This is why I say Tulane...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
Geaux Tigers. No debt opens a lot of doors, LSU has name recognition, and Texas is still in the region. Should be totally doable to make it to Texas from LSU.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »
I would consider going to LSU over Tulane if the both would cost the same... LSU has much more name recognition (granted, this is partially due to sports performance).

BTW, botbot, I checked out your site today, and I approve.  Very cool.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 12:19:38 PM »
Geaux Tigers. No debt opens a lot of doors, LSU has name recognition, and Texas is still in the region. Should be totally doable to make it to Texas from LSU.

Well, its really $50k debt vs. $110k debt.  $500 a month is certainly more palatable...

As for LSU traveling to Texas - while trying to decide, I spoke with a member of LSU Law Review who spammed Houston in early fall and had only one dead end screener.  He led me to believe that Texas firms view the required Civil Law program with great bias.  The 2006 employment sheet has 8/180 LSU law graduates going to Texas.

Tulane sends 50+ students to Texas every year.

SamE397

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »
I would consider going to LSU over Tulane if the both would cost the same... LSU has much more name recognition (granted, this is partially due to sports performance).

BTW, botbot, I checked out your site today, and I approve.  Very cool.
lay opinion means nothing if it did Syracuse and Penn State would have better reputations than Hastings and American.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »

Well, its really $50k debt vs. $110k debt.  $500 a month is certainly more palatable...

As for LSU traveling to Texas - while trying to decide, I spoke with a member of LSU Law Review who spammed Houston in early fall and had only one dead end screener.  He led me to believe that Texas firms view the required Civil Law program with great bias.  The 2006 employment sheet has 8/180 LSU law graduates going to Texas.

Aside from a larger alumni base in Texas (no small thing), I wouldn't read too deep into Tulane getting more people into Texas. It seems like most people that go to state schools self select to remain in the state. Private schools pretty much always get people placed into more states than their public counter parts.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »

Aside from a larger alumni base in Texas (no small thing), I wouldn't read too deep into Tulane getting more people into Texas. It seems like most people that go to state schools self select to remain in the state. Private schools pretty much always get people placed into more states than their public counter parts.

Still, law review at Tulane = multiple Houston offers; LSU law review = not even a flyout.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:46:01 AM »
This is about as tough as a question as there is.  A lot depends on how much debt this student has and is willing to take on.  With no previous debt, I'd lean towards Tulane.  If the student has taken out plenty previously, I wouldn't compound it.

One thing that might be worth consider, the op went to LSU undergrad.  It's generally considered a good idea to diversify one's education.  I don't know if in-bred pedigrees are as looked down upon as they are in other fields, but it might be a very good idea for the student consider moving to Tulane.  Also think, in LA, the op will be able to take advantage of many more alumni networks having gone to both LSU and Tulane.  This is why I say Tulane...

Sound advice! Plus, Tulane is just that much better than LSU anyways. I don't know if I would take LSU $$$ over Tulane no $.