Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I quit?  (Read 4906 times)

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I quit?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »
"Employers may undoubtedly hire them over me, but in the end the market works itself out and I have confidence that I'll do extremely well."

In my case, the investment is simply not worth it unless I can get a really good paying job out of it.  If being around the median precludes me from doing that, it doesn't make sense to spend the next two years of my life and $120k or whatever on law school.

I admire your confidence, but it has no bearing on my life or whether or not graduating in the middle of a lower T14 is worth the money and effort.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
First, I have high enough grades and an SA position lined up for this summer so I'll likely get a high paying job.  Second, I'm merely making the point that given the choice, employers prefer to hire people with better grades.  I was passed over at some firms for people with higher grades.  I think those firms made a mistake because I know those kids and know I'm better than them. 

If you seriously think you can't get 1 firm to invest good money in you being above median at a T14, then you should probably quit because you have no confidence and probably don't have a good personality for a big law job anyways.  It sounds like you are just looking for a way out of law school.  If so, quit and tell everyone it was the economy.  Problem solved.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »
I guess I've become dissilusioned now that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be one of those outliers.

Attending a T-14, you're already an outlier regardless of your grades.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
"More $ as primary motivator for anything you have to go into a lot of debt for is not a good idea."

I've been on both sides of this issue.  I agree that you will not be happy if the only satisfaction you derive from your work is a salary.  However, especially in this country, money is the primary reason for taking any job.  If you take a lower paying job in your twenties (as I did) because you enjoy the work and you assume that professional satisfaction alone will be enough to carry you through to retirement... you're being as foolish I was.  Life in America takes money.  People with out it aren't just less happy... they're less healthy, they have fewer opportunities and they live shorter lives, on average.  Getting paid is actually a very good reason to work.

I am not saying that I do not like working in law.  I do like it.  Would I do it if people in the legal profession were paid like highschool gym teachers?  The answer to that question would not just be a firm "no" it would be a firm "@#!* no."

I also think that most law students, regardless of what they tell themselves, have no real idea as to whether or not they'll "love" being a lawyer.  The vast majority are just like me... they THINK they'll like the work and they KNOW they'll like the salary.  You can tell yourself that you "love the law" and you're in this for the pure intellectual challenge... but, at the end of the day, I don't think you're being straight with yourself.  If you are being straight with yourself, you're probably crazy.

No, I made money before I went to law school. I started out with a crappy low paying job, said screw that saved then started my business, made lots of money, then went to law school because I always wanted to be a lawyer. Granted my story is not typical, but I always did what I enjoyed and the money just followed, I never chased it. It just never seemed like I could make a lot of money when someone else was paying my salary (no matter how high that was) compared to what I made owing my own business (and certainly working much lower hours).

Personally I think anyone is taking a gamble they are going to like being a lawyer or the law right out of UG. If it was up to me I would make everyone work a few years before they went. But itís not, so thatís the risk you take if your chasing the money, that it might not be there, or you wonít like what you have to do to get it. If the ends donít add up for the means, then get out while you can.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
"Employers may undoubtedly hire them over me, but in the end the market works itself out and I have confidence that I'll do extremely well."

In my case, the investment is simply not worth it unless I can get a really good paying job out of it.  If being around the median precludes me from doing that, it doesn't make sense to spend the next two years of my life and $120k or whatever on law school.

I admire your confidence, but it has no bearing on my life or whether or not graduating in the middle of a lower T14 is worth the money and effort.

Why did you go to law school if you were unsatisfied with getting median grades? I don't know what is going on with IP in the current economy, but certainly in previous years you would have had a lock on biglaw. Are you sure this is a rational assessment of your prospects, and not depression about feeling mediocre at LS?

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 07:06:18 PM »

Why did you go to law school if you were unsatisfied with getting median grades? I don't know what is going on with IP in the current economy, but certainly in previous years you would have had a lock on biglaw. Are you sure this is a rational assessment of your prospects, and not depression about feeling mediocre at LS?

LOL.  good point. Probably a bit of both.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »
don't worry too much about first year grades, seriously. Obviously it is nice to be top of your class and get a supreme court clerkship, but how you do in Law School and how you do as a lawyer are not the same thing. There are plenty of good career paths for you, and plenty of people at the top of their class who whose careers won't end up being all that impressive.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
Median at a T14 with an engineering background is still golden. Especially as you are not a 3L.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 09:49:42 PM »
Only stay in law school if you want to be a lawyer, donít stay if you whole purpose was just to increase your salary over other job. There are easier and more satisfying ways to make money then going to law school to be a lawyer if youíre not passionate about the being a lawyer thing. More $ as primary motivator for anything you have to go into a lot of debt for is not a good idea. If when itís all over being a lawyer is not enough to keep you happy regardless of pay, then donít go to law school to learn how to be one. 

Right on the money.  If all the OP wants is a bigger pay check with no interest at all in being a lawyer, he or she should get out now instead of wasting any more time and money.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
Okay, so we've covered this ground before...  but I'll gloss over that and get right to my commentary.

I like how people are so willing to act like nobody goes into law for the money... or that money isn't a major motivating factor for pretty much everybody who posts here. 

Seriously, who are you kidding?  Your posts probably make you very happy with yourselves, but you're not being honest and you're not really fooling anybody.