Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall to Kent?  (Read 882 times)

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
John Marshall to Kent?
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »
I am at John Marshall in Chicago and am in the top 10%.  I know I probably don't have a shot for NU or UChi, but I want to stay in Chicago.

Would it make sense to give up a scholarship and a spot on Law Review to transfer to Chicago Kent? I know Kent is ranked 66th and JMLS is the bottom of the barrel, but I've heard of people coming out of JMLS landing biglaw gigs in Chicago.  I would also like to teach someday, and I realize that staying at JMLS will pretty much sh*t on that dream.

I figure I can get in, but would it be worth it?

Thoughts?  Thanks.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

widennumber2

• View Profile
Re: John Marshall to Kent?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
Transfer to Kent.  Its 100% worth it.  That is a sizable jump and Kent is well respected in Chicago.  Plus you would have an opportunity to write on at Kent perhaps?  Throw an app out to NU too, just for the hell of it.

Just FYI teaching law will be impossible coming from JMLS, and it will be only slightly more possible coming from Kent.  Don't let that be any sort of factor.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »
Transfer to Kent.  Its 100% worth it.  That is a sizable jump and Kent is well respected in Chicago.  Plus you would have an opportunity to write on at Kent perhaps?  Throw an app out to NU too, just for the hell of it.

Just FYI teaching law will be impossible coming from JMLS, and it will be only slightly more possible coming from Kent.  Don't let that be any sort of factor.

Even for 100k more debt?
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
I have to tell you... I am right now at a school that is, by objective standards, much better than JM.  And I am not particularly happy with my prospects.

Maybe i shouldn't comment because i don't know how well JM places.  But i am offering advice that I think would be applicable to any T4 school... and that is to transfer, suck up the debt, and live very frugally.

I guess it depends what you want to do, what your goals are, and how you want to live.  Personally I have no intentions of starting a family any time soon, and I am very happy living a relatively meager lifestyle.  So I don't mind tacking on some more debt as long as i can make my loan payments and the move affords me greater opportunities.

I definitely agree though to think long and hard about the debt.  A LOT of students tack on debt without really giving it much thought.  Once the reality of $100k sets in, its very shocking to those who are unprepared.

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »
I have to tell you... I am right now at a school that is, by objective standards, much better than JM.  And I am not particularly happy with my prospects.

Maybe i shouldn't comment because i don't know how well JM places.  But i am offering advice that I think would be applicable to any T4 school... and that is to transfer, suck up the debt, and live very frugally.

I guess it depends what you want to do, what your goals are, and how you want to live.  Personally I have no intentions of starting a family any time soon, and I am very happy living a relatively meager lifestyle.  So I don't mind tacking on some more debt as long as i can make my loan payments and the move affords me greater opportunities.

I definitely agree though to think long and hard about the debt.  A LOT of students tack on debt without really giving it much thought.  Once the reality of $100k sets in, its very shocking and can be very oppressive to those who are unprepared.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that you can't write-on to Law Review at Kent until you've spent at least one year there, which means you couldn't join until 3L. http://lawreview.kentlaw.edu/prospective_staff_members_webpage.htm

I was at JMLS and transferred out last year. It was definitely worth it, but I had to leave Chicago to do it. You seem to already know, but you probably don't have a shot at NU or UofC. If you look at the Yahoo TransferApps database, there were people last year who were in the top 1 and 2% that applied to both and got rejected. If you look through some of the older databases, you'll see that, at least amongst those who've reported on that group, it's basically impossible to move from JMLS to NU or UofC. You might look at U. of Illinois, it places well in Chicago. I'd also look at Notre Dame, Indiana and maybe even Wisconsin if you want to ultimately work in Chicago. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.