Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Negotiating $$  (Read 551 times)

jaustinstokes

• View Profile
    • Email
Negotiating $$
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »
Has anyone really had any luck negotiating for money at state schools? Can a school knock off the out-of-state tuition fee if they want you bad enough? I sent an email asking for help and citing my other scholarship offers yesterday. Now, im just waiting for the reply!

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
Re: Negotiating $$
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »
Has anyone really had any luck negotiating for money at state schools? Can a school knock off the out-of-state tuition fee if they want you bad enough? I sent an email asking for help and citing my other scholarship offers yesterday. Now, im just waiting for the reply!

I successfully negotiated an increase in scholarship.  The amount was marginal, but nonetheless helpful.  I personally felt e-mail was too informal, so I drafted a letter with a nice letter head and on nice paper.  Little things like these help form a professional and positive perception of the applicant.  However, the most important factor is having leverage.  Are your stats above the school's average?  If so, you may be successful.  Either way, you have nothing to lose except time.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Yes.  I got one school to move from $45K per year to double that.  I sent a letter mentioning my affinity for the school and also attached copies of the two higher scholarship offers I'd received from roughly peer schools (one ranked higher, one ranked maybe a spot or two lower).  I had originally faxed this to the school but like other things, it was lost.  I ended up emailing it. 

I disagree that a letter helps an applicant look more professional.  Perhaps that was once the case, but with admissions offices being so busy, I think email is less likely to be lost.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

ihateattorneys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »

I disagree that a letter helps an applicant look more professional.  Perhaps that was once the case, but with admissions offices being so busy, I think email is less likely to be lost.
[/quote]

I found the opposite to be true at the school I requested additional funds from.  I initially submitted an informal e-mail to the school and never recieved a response.  I then went snail mail and received my additional funds a week later.  Either wasy is fine, I do however, believe that drafting a letter on nice paper and with a nice letter head places the idea of legitimacy in the reader's head (Not all readers). I majored in psychology for a quarter so I know how people think ;D

Your suggestion for attaching other offers from additional schools is excellent. 

To the OP:  Just remember that everything in life is negotiable.  You are walking into a car dealership.  These people want your business...let them earn it!

PreLawBootCamp

• View Profile
    • Pre Law Bootcamp
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
Letters will never go out of style.  If you want more money, write a letter explaining

(1) That you want to attend X school
(2) Why you want to attend X school
(3) That, but for financial reasons, it would be your first choice
(4) If you feel comfortable doing so, politely indicate your other options (if they are as good or better)
Pre-Law Bootcamp; Washington DC; June-July 2009.
Email: prelawsummer@gmail.com

climb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:05:38 PM »
I tried negotiating with 5 schools in the 20-30 range and none of them raised their scholarship amounts.  It's definitely worth a shot though.  Having read a couple scholarship negotiation threads on this site, it sounded to me like it works most of the time.  I found out that was not true for me.