Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Where should i go?

Houston
Oklahoma

Author Topic: UofH or OU??? Please help...deadline approaching  (Read 1463 times)

bigD09

• View Profile
UofH or OU??? Please help...deadline approaching
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:42:02 AM »
I am a texas resident and would like to work in Dallas after gradtuation. Been accepted to OU with waived non-res tuition...as well as a 2k scholly for the first year. Just got accepted to UofH tonight...no financial aid info yet from them. I hear a lot about the campus at Houston and what a dirty city it is...in the end i need to make a decision based on my future. The rankings are fairly close right now 55-68....Houston tuition - 17k...OU - 13K. Living in Houston vs Norman. Keeping in mind that i'd like to work in North texas after graduation, any advice as to what would be the best decision? I'll take any words of wisdom i can get...good, bad, anything you know about those schools.

THANKS!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UofH or OU??? Please help...deadline approaching
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:59:27 AM »
I am a texas resident and would like to work in Dallas after gradtuation. Been accepted to OU with waived non-res tuition...as well as a 2k scholly for the first year. Just got accepted to UofH tonight...no financial aid info yet from them. I hear a lot about the campus at Houston and what a dirty city it is...in the end i need to make a decision based on my future. The rankings are fairly close right now 55-68....Houston tuition - 17k...OU - 13K. Living in Houston vs Norman. Keeping in mind that i'd like to work in North texas after graduation, any advice as to what would be the best decision? I'll take any words of wisdom i can get...good, bad, anything you know about those schools.

THANKS!

What's OU? 

Houston is similiar to Dallas.  My vote is for Houston, especially if you want to live in Texas after graduation.

bigD09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:16:52 AM »
Sorry...i meant Oklahoma

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »
Houston

AustinBerkeley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
Since you're planning to stay in Texas after graduation, I would go with Houston.

As a city, Houston's really not that bad, and I don't think it's any dirtier than Dallas.  There's actually a lot of interesting and cool stuff to do in Houston (tons of museums, galleries, theater, music venues, etc.).  If it was up to me, I would easily choose living in Houston over Norman.

bigD09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »
do Houston graduates have more success in Dallas than Oklahoma grads?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:01:56 AM »
Oklahoma.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:57:36 AM »
Normally my advice goes like this: go to school in the state you want to work in, in as large a legal market as you can and network so you have more options than just OCI/mass mailing to find a job. I know Houston would fit this bill, but if you want to work in Dallas, how far is that from Norman? Can you commute to Dallas for networking events (Iím not familure with where cities are when it comes to Texas other than Houston and SA)? My best advice still stands, donít go to school in BFE or a city you would not work in if you can aviod it because you kill any benefits networking has by doing so and your only options for finding a job are then OCI or mass mailing, which is how most everyone else will be looking so there are lower odds/more competition.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
Oklahoma.

Ignore this guy above.  He doesn't read the complete thread. See
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4019153.10.html

This one was short and concise enough that I did bother to actually read it. Still saying Oklahoma. If OP really wanted Houston, I'd say Houston, but for Dallas, I don't think either school is better situated. Plus, OU is a touch cheaper and is an overall better university, so I think it wins the push.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.