Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have a chance at Cornell or Columbia?  (Read 1463 times)

Mellski

• View Profile
    • Email
Do I have a chance at Cornell or Columbia?
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »
Hey,

Just wondering, but, would I be eligible for Cornell or Columbia with a cumulative GPA of 3.71-3.77 and a LSAT of 170? I am double major (not sure if major gpa matters), but my business degree gpa is about 3.62 and my Philosophy gpa is a 3.95.I have had various internships and am heavily involved in extra curriculars, also my undergrad isnt prestigious or anything.I am also in the process of getting an article or two published in various journals, not sure if that would help me or not.

Thanks in advance!

Mellski

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do I have a chance at Cornell or Columbia?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »
Hey,

Just wondering, but, would I be eligible for Cornell or Columbia with a cumulative GPA of 3.71-3.77 and a LSAT of 170? I am double major (not sure if major gpa matters), but my business degree gpa is about 3.62 and my Philosophy gpa is a 3.95.I have had various internships and am heavily involved in extra curriculars, also my undergrad isnt prestigious or anything.I am also in the process of getting an article or two published in various journals, not sure if that would help me or not. I will also be studying in England for a year, one year at Oxford.

Thanks in advance!

Mellski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »
sorry for the double post, im at my schools library and the internet sucks

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Cornell = Virtually Certain
Columbia= Longshot

Do you actually have a 170 or are you speculating? Don't get ahead of yourself- LSAT is 80% of the admissions game.

Your phil GPA and extra curriculars are more or less meaningless unless the extra curriculars are truly extraordinary (99% are not).

If you have not seen it already, lawschoolnumbers.com gives you a much clearer picture of your admissions chances than anyone on this site would.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
how on earth did you do worse in B school than philosophy? Also, why just cornell and columbia?

at any rate, looks like you are on the cusp for columbia (depending on GPA) http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

and probably a lock for cornell. http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Seriously though, there are schools that are easier to get into than columbia but better than cornell. I hope you aren't just looking for an Ivy.

Mellski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »
I just have done research about Cornell and it seems like a good fit for me. What other schools are you infering? I love Philosophy, absoloutely enjoy it, which is why the better gpa. I like business, but its just not as appealing to me. I could care less about an ivy, I just want to go to a well known school, since my undergrad isnt necessarily "known".

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »
Look with your numbers it makes sense to apply to all the t14 from Columbia down.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »
I think you should apply to at least 6 Top 14 law schools. 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
I'd say you've got a shot everywhere, the top 3 will be a stretch, the next 3 will be a decent chance and the rest a pretty good chance. I wouldn't apply anywhere you don't want to study. Some folks blindly apply by rankings, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless you are just shopping for a diploma, but presumably you have things you are interested in and are actually looking forward to learning stuff. In that case, the rankings give you a general sense of how bright your fellow classmates will be, but they don't tell you much about the style of the school or how good its faculty are in your specific areas of interests. I only applied to four schools and they were all schools I'd have been happy to attend (and no, they weren't the top four ranked schools). I'm stubborn enough that if I couldn't have gone where I wanted, I wasn't going (at least not then).

The other argument is to apply to a bunch of schools, see where you get in, then decide which ones you'd actually be happy attending. For me, its easier to narrow down the field first and save the expense and work of applying to schools you know you'd turn down.
HLS 2010

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »

I think you should have Harvard and Columbia as reach, Penn and Michigan as target, and Cornell and Duke as safety.