Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BarBri / PMBR -- are they necessary?  (Read 4416 times)

jumbo11

• View Profile
    • Email
BarBri / PMBR -- are they necessary?
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Just wondering whether people think BarBri/PMBR Bar Prep classes are absolutely necessary, or whether you can pass the bar just as easily studying on your own.  Obviously every bar exam is different, and not every student has taken courses on each subject tested.  Let's assume I've taken a course in every subject area, and I'm taking a bar exam of average difficulty.

Thoughts?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BarBri / PMBR -- are they necessary?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »
What are you going to do in terms of study materials?  Yes, Bar/Bri is necessary. You spent thousands on a law degree, yet you wanna cheap skate the most important part?

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
Yes - some bar review course is necessary. There is simply no other way to to get a survey of every area of law that will be tested - some states test as many as 25 subject areas.  Your law school courses are inadequate prep for the bar because you only learn the parts of the law that the PROFESSOR thinks are important, not what will be on the bar exam.  On top of that, even with a bar review course, bar prep requires a lot of discipline over an eight-week period; the courses provide a structure and schedule to keep you on track.  Also, Bar Bri helps you draw distinctions between what will be tested on the MBE versus the state portion, and the state law distinctions from national laws you will be expected to know for the MBE.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
Bar/Bri is necessary; PMBR is not.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
Who the hell would start worrying about the cost of a legal education at this junction...
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 08:25:20 PM »
Just wondering whether people think BarBri/PMBR Bar Prep classes are absolutely necessary, or whether you can pass the bar just as easily studying on your own.  Obviously every bar exam is different, and not every student has taken courses on each subject tested.  Let's assume I've taken a course in every subject area, and I'm taking a bar exam of average difficulty.

Thoughts?

They are only necessary if you want to pass the bar exam . . .

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
i'm taking the bar exam this summer without a prep course. i know it can be done because i have a friend who's done it. a few caveats, though:

- i wouldn't do it without the bar bri materials for my self-study.
- it's the massachusetts bar - 90% pass rate for first-time takers.
- it's a virtual financial necessity for me - i don't qualify for bar loans.
case '09

studylikeachamp

• View Profile
    • studylikeachampion.blogspot.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »
Here's the rundown on Bar/Bri and PMBR.  Bar/Bri is an institution.  They have a streamlined process for taking you from BAR prep to BAR success.  Their process is time consuming (most people do not stick to the homework schedule Bar/Bri sets out for its students).  Bar/Bri also works hard to add some humor to the process by hiring fairly entertaining lecturers and constantly bolstering your confidence with success stories of seemingly clueless students.  Bar/Bri teaches you to look at the exam primarily as a lesson in patience and time management rather than knowledge, and helps you to prioritize all the important topic areas.  For these reasons, Bar/Bri is a must.  It allows you to focus on memorization and practice rather than on the study schedule planning and outlining that you otherwise wouldn't have time for.

PMBR on the other hand, tests your knowledge of the law.  PMBR employs the "learning by doing" method, which entails you complete an incredibly difficult multiple choice question, then go back, read about all the rules tested in the question, learn from your almost inevitable mistake, and move on.  The point of PMBR practice tests is not to do well, but to learn from them.  This process is not completely necessary and can be quite frustrating at times.  Panicky bar preppers are left wondering how poorly they are going to do on the Bar.  As a prelude to BArBRI, PMBR is useful to get the student's mind geared to the bar.  But as a last week before the bar study guide, PMBR is neither particularly useful nor confidence-building.

I would suggest getting your hands on a PMBR book to go over on your own during the week between graduation and Bar/Bri.  I would suggest taking Bar/Bri.  I would suggest skipping the final PMBR multiple choice session all together.

studylikeachampion.blogspot.c om