Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Schools: 1T vs 4T  (Read 6342 times)

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Schools: 1T vs 4T
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
and have been told a few times since that Baylor is considered (by some Texas attorneysBaylor Alums) the best law school in the state because of it's curriculum.

Fixed it for ya  ;)

I can see how litigators might feel that way about Practice Court, but you'd have to be a bit delusional (or on the Baylor payroll) to claim superiority to UT.

I totally agree with this, which is why I'm going to UT, even though Baylor offered a lot of money.

The people who have told me how great Baylor is mostly went to STCL, by the way.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
Baylor is considered below UT, UH, and SMU, but above Texas Tech and South Texas.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »
Baylor is considered below UT, UH, and SMU, but above Texas Tech and South Texas.

IMO, if an applicant doesn't have a scholarship to Baylor, I think Tech is a better choice.  Baylor has marginally better NLJ250 placement (about 4% vs. 8%) and clerkship placement, but the last time I checked tuition was more than double.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »

IMO, if an applicant doesn't have a scholarship to Baylor, I think Tech is a better choice.  Baylor has marginally better NLJ250 placement (about 4% vs. 8%) and clerkship placement, but the last time I checked tuition was more than double.

I'm just curious, but where do you live?  Are you in Texas?  Tuition, of course, would depend on in-state classificiation, but moreover, Lubbock is a five-hour drive from Dallas, let alone Austin, SA, and Houston.  There are far more BU grads here in Houston.  I think there's a distinct feeling that TTU feeds nicely into Amarillo big law.  That said, I'd pay double not to live in Lubbock.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
   I think there's a distinct feeling that TTU feeds nicely into Amarillo big law.

The concept of Amarillo biglaw is a distinct oxymoron.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »

I'm just curious, but where do you live?  Are you in Texas?  Tuition, of course, would depend on in-state classificiation, but moreover, Lubbock is a five-hour drive from Dallas, let alone Austin, SA, and Houston.  There are far more BU grads here in Houston.  I think there's a distinct feeling that TTU feeds nicely into Amarillo big law.  That said, I'd pay double not to live in Lubbock.

Haha.  I don't think you're the only one. 

I've visited Lubbock, and I don't think it's that bad.  I'm from Dallas.  I wouldn't mind saving $45K-$50K (or whatever the diff would be) to live in Lubbock for 3 years.  I don't think their grads are stuck in west Texas.  It looks like Baylor has about 250 more lawyers in Harris County, but the numbers are roughly equal for Dallas, Tarrant, Travis, and Bexar. http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/Other_Services/Research_and_Analysis/Research_and_Analysis_Department.htm.  My guess, however, is that Baylor has a slight "major city" edge strictly by the number of lawyers if you adjust for graduating class of each school.  Nonetheless, even if we assume that such an edge is based on mobility afforded by the degree (no unknown confounding factor), I don't think the added mobility is worth the cost.  But that's just my two cents.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 09:03:09 PM »
I guess my snarky attitude about west Texas wasn't distinct enough there about the Amarillo biglaw. 

TTU has a much larger enrollment than Baylor, by about 200 according to US News.  I don't know how long that has been going on for, but I think that helps show the mobility that Baylor would afford vice TTU.  I think Travis County is explained by state government hiring. 

I can't wait for University of North Texas to start the law school in a couple of years.  Maybe Denton biglaw will become the hot item?

Also, do you want to have to drive 30 minutes from campus to buy booze?  That's too high a transaction cost in November and April for my mind.

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »

Not if my other option was Waco!

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »

[/quote]

Not if my other option was Waco!
[/quote]

Well, all things considered, I'd rather be in Austin than Houston. 

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »

Well, all things considered, I'd rather be in Austin than Houston. 
[/quote]

Me, too. That's why I didn't apply to U of H. I mean, I'd rather be in Dallas than Houston. I'd rather be in Austin than anywhere else.