Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Schools: 1T vs 4T  (Read 6348 times)

KennyPowers

• View Profile
Re: Texas Schools: 1T vs 4T
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
This should really be an easy choice. Unless you want to work in Houston, STCL does not have too many prospects in Texas. Baylor is a much more recognized school throughout the state and it also is known for taking a very practical approach to teaching law. Baylor also has the highest 1st time bar passage rate in the state (I believe it is around 98%).

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:12 PM »
This should really be an easy choice. Unless you want to work in Houston, STCL does not have too many prospects in Texas. Baylor is a much more recognized school throughout the state and it also is known for taking a very practical approach to teaching law. Baylor also has the highest 1st time bar passage rate in the state (I believe it is around 98%).

Most people pass the bar. So, having a high passage rate shouldn't be a concern to most people unless you're in the bottom of your class or at Texas Southern. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 04:01:03 AM »
Baylor, though I suspect this is a flame.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 11:13:39 PM »
if you're really hard up for cash and don't want the student loans and you already have a job lined up then you can take a pass on baylor.
but, if you're like everyone else, the best bet is try to go to the highest ranked place that accepts you unless you just really don't want to move there for school.
baylor is like boot camp and has a great reputation for cranking out law students who are ready to go to court.
baylor has a great rep in texas, and their graduates spread out all over texas since nobody really stays in waco.
good networking and great reputation.
and the money really doesn't matter in the big picture.
you'd probably be better off with baylor
if you end up at smu, i've got tons of outlines

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »
It seems that everyone here is saying Baylor and I do see that as a good answer, but I told you why I passed on Baylor.

STCL is not as bad as everyone says it is and it seems to place decently in Houston, but if you want to go to any other city, it's not a good choice. I'm fairly certain that's what I told you in my PM. At the time, though, I didn't realize that the tuition was only $10k different. I was thinking it would be close to 20. I didn't really research it and only know about STCL from people I know who went there. For 30k total debt, I would go to Baylor despite all of the reasons that I listed for not going there myself.

Baylor is a more respected school in the market, but the curriculum is very different. It is a hard school and prides itself in being one, so make sure you're aware of that from the start. I gave up Baylor to go to UT and have been told a few times since that Baylor is considered (by some Texas attorneys) the best law school in the state because of it's curriculum.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
and have been told a few times since that Baylor is considered (by some Texas attorneysBaylor Alums) the best law school in the state because of it's curriculum.

Fixed it for ya  ;)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 12:43:30 PM »
and have been told a few times since that Baylor is considered (by some Texas attorneysBaylor Alums) the best law school in the state because of it's curriculum.

Fixed it for ya  ;)

I can see how litigators might feel that way about Practice Court, but you'd have to be a bit delusional (or on the Baylor payroll) to claim superiority to UT.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
if you're serious, and not BSing, PL me.  I go to STCL. 
All I would say is, if you want to do criminal work and you're cool with living in Houston or east/south Texas, then come here. 
Otherwise, go to Baylor and enjoy drinking at George's when you're not at fun baptist ice cream socials.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
if you're serious, and not BSing, PL me.  I go to STCL. 
All I would say is, if you want to do criminal work and you're cool with living in Houston or east/south Texas, then come here. 
Otherwise, go to Baylor and enjoy drinking at George's when you're not at fun baptist ice cream socials.

Outstanding idea. Big Os for everyone.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
Yeah, it's odd.  Considering the epic $h!tholeness that Waco is (I think arguably it's the worst city in America for a population of about 100K), there's some cool food there, between George's, Bari's III, and that Vietnamese place next to campus; it's a survivable town.
Proving there is redemption in this world...