Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Schools: 1T vs 4T  (Read 6083 times)

JKessler

• View Profile
Texas Schools: 1T vs 4T
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »
I have recently been accepted to South Texas College of Law in Houston (4T school), which is not nationally known, but it has a great reputation for trial advocacy in Houston. I also was accepted to Baylor in Waco (1T school). I've heard that in Texas there really isn't a major difference between the two schools, although Baylor is ranked waaaaay higher than STCL. Im stumped on where to go- I have heard both good and bad things about both. Does anyone know anything about either school? Reputation, regionally vs nationally? PLEASE, help me!!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Schools: 1T vs 4T
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
If tuition is the same or reasonably close, Baylor by a long  shot. Their reputations are NOT the same in the Texas legal community.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
Baylor, easily. Don't even think about it.

JKessler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:36:20 PM »
The tuition is about $10,000 difference, Baylor being the more expensive. What is the difference though? Do you have some more insight? Thanks!

SamE397

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
The primary difference will be that Baylor probably has a stronger alumni network and more prestige. Also, Baylor may offer more courses. Everyone on here will probably lean towards Baylor because it does have a much better rep nationally. I can tell you from personal experience though that the difference between non-elite schools in terms of job prospects is greatly exaggerated by rankings. That said some T4 schools do have very high attrition rates and high unemployment. So do some research, the official guide to ABA law schools will be your friend in this task. Here's the link http://officialguide.lsac.org/. Also I would recommend talking to a LSD poster by the name of penni_rose they will know more about Baylor and might know more about South Texas.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
Baylor generally has a better reputation in Texas.  But there isn't a signficant difference in the employment stats reported by the schools: http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf.  Note, however, that STCL has a much higher unemployment rate.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »
For a $30,000 difference, I think this is a no-brainer for Baylor.  I don't mean to devalue the sum of money, but in the larger scheme of things $30,000 isn't that much.  Especially considering that this is your future on the line, you'd want to take the better of the two choices.  How can you determine "better"?  Rankings don't mean that much always (the difference between 37 and 45 is negligible, if there is any difference at all), but they do help categorize schools.  There's just a huge gap between T2 and T4 schools.  There's nothing wrong with any school, as long as you go in understanding what you're getting.  But for this price difference, you should just take the better option (and sadly, rankings might be the key).

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »
Baylor has a pretty good rep nationally, outside of Texas you'll find that many people haven't even heard of South Texas College of Law. If there aren't very special circumstances that would make the latter really good for you (full scholarship plus good faculty and placement for exactly what you want to do), I'd recommend Baylor.

A huge factor when looking at schools that is often overlooked is the nature of the student body. Your class-mates will to a very large extent determine the depth and pace of the course and you stand to learn a huge amount from them. My guess is that Baylor is more selective and that its student body would be considerably more motivated and engaged with the material. 
HLS 2010

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »
Why didn't you apply to UH, or at least Texas Tech.  You can pay instate tuition for these two and UH is considered better than Baylor and Texas Tech is considered better than South Texas and both UH and Tech are much lower in cost especially if you're instate. 

What are poeple thinking applying to non-tier 1 private schools and having to pay full price?  Debt is going to stay with you for years and years to come, invest wisely and get bargains from public schools. 

AustinBerkeley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:12:47 PM »
Without a doubt, I say Baylor.

Granted, it kinda depends on what you want to do after LS, but no matter what you'll have many more options at Baylor than South Texas.  Outside of Texas, no one has heard of STCL, but even within Texas it doesn't have that great of a reputation (especially compared to Baylor).

Also, I think that Baylor would be a lot less competitive of an environment than STCL.  At 4T schools, everyone is trying to prove themselves to prospective employers, plus the schools themselves are known to weed out a percentage of the class every year.  While I still think there would be competition at Baylor, I think it would be a lot less cutthroat than at STCL.

Just my two cents.  Hope it helps.