Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Richmond too regional? (and is American worth it?)  (Read 540 times)

theonlygirlphilosopher

• View Profile
Is Richmond too regional? (and is American worth it?)
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »
Here's my situation:

Accepted to Richmond and DePaul ($$) and some unimportant others
Waitlisted to L&C, American, and Loyola
Still waiting on OSU and Kent

Right now I'm about to send in my deposit to Richmond as it's about the same to attend there as it is to go to DePaul even with my scholarship offer.  I love URich's campus, but is it too regional?  Or is it close enough to DC/have a good enough rep to allow for some movement?  Moving to Chicago, DC, or perhaps Jacksonville post grad interests me the most.

Of course, if I get into Kent or OSU, I'll go there, but since I haven't heard yet I'm guessing the news is not good.

Scenario #2: If I get accepted into Loyola, despite it being ranked lower than Richmond, should I go there since it's already in Chicago?  Or is the market too saturated there?

Scenario #3: If I get into American, is it worth it to go there knowing I'll be under a ridiculously crushing amount of debt?

One final question: Can I use my DePaul scholarship offer to leverage something with Richmond? Or is there too much of a rankings gap to make a leverage plausible?

Thoughts please kthx.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Richmond too regional? (and is American worth it?)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »
I don't know much about any of the schools, but I would look up their job placement numbers to get a realistic idea of how many or what percent of people they place in the types of jobs and markets that interest you. There will be some self-selection, but for example if Rich places very few in DC, chances are that it is not primarily self selection since DC is the nearest major legal market. Dito for Loyola and Chicago. I don't think American would be worth a huge amount of debt, particularly in this economy where high paying big-law jobs can be a bit tough to get (and retain). Also don't overlook checking to see that you actually like the schools and faculty. American tends to be very liberal and is big on human rights, environmental law and that sort of thing - great if that's what you want, but perhaps not great if you want to do big law or transactional work.
HLS 2010

MalachiConstant

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Richmond too regional? (and is American worth it?)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »
I was also waitlisted at American. While I was always very keen on going there, I eventually decided on Albany, which has offered me $$. I even purposely failed to complete American's loan applications, just so that I wouldn't be tempted should they ever come through with an offer. So no, I don't think it's worth it.