Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU vs NU??? Which one?  (Read 2019 times)

bellachic

• View Profile
NYU vs NU??? Which one?
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:15:41 PM »
Hi all,

So I've been accepted to both schools but still waiting for the financial package :-\. Money aside, which school offers better educational and career opportunities?

I went to NYU undergrad and thoroughly enjoyed the experienced and was hooked on NYU Law ever since. Only thing that annoyed me was feeling like I was part of a herd sometimes, but it seems to be different for the law school.  However, during the application process, I also researched Northwestern and was impressed. My only concern is job prospect if I decide to move back to NY (my original hometown) to pursue a career with a degree from Northwestern.  My interests have not been narrowed down as to which area I would like to specialize in, so this is making the decision even more frustrating.  I am interested in both corporate and entertainment law.  I've visited Chicago many times and love the city, but I am also afraid that by attending NU, I would be limiting my job opportunities if I decide to move back to NY.

Help!! Would really appreciate any insight/recommendations.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU vs NU??? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
Do you have a strong preference for Northwestern?  If not, I think that the better job prospects coming out of NYU would weigh in its favour.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
With no cost difference, it's not even an issue. NYU all the way. Job prospects are significantly better. 
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
NYU, no question about it.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

GhostofTomJoad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:06:58 PM »
I have to vote for NYU on this one.  Since you mentioned that you'd like to work in the NYC legal market, I think the relationshps that NYU Law has with the corporate law firms in NYC would probably surpass the NYC options that you'd have coming out of Northwestern.  Either way, they're both amazing T14 schools so your options would be excellent coming out of either of the two schools. You're in a really envious position.  I wish you the best regardless of which school you choose.   ;)

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
NYU is amazing. NU is good.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 02:53:26 AM »
NYU. It's a no-brainer, and I am a huge NU Law fan...I love the school, Chitown, everything except the library and all those damned stairs, and that ugly teal carpet they put in to match Lake Michigan. lol. ;D

bellachic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
Thanks guys. I ended up choosing NYU since they offered a scholarship ;D which NU would not match  :-\.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »
Thanks guys. I ended up choosing NYU since they offered a scholarship ;D which NU would not match  :-\.

What are your stats?  Did you get into Harvard?  What about Columbia?

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »

$$ from NYU but not from NU?!  Wow.