Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where do you get E&Es?  (Read 1967 times)

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you get E&Es?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:11:23 PM »
DO NOT BUY THE PROPERTY E&E...it sucks. Any other supplement should do you better. Also, E&E's should always be available at your school's bookstore. It's sort of weird that no responses said that.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:52:33 PM »
for what it's worth, i'd recommend waiting until you start classes to spend money on E&Es.  i've found that some professors are just too particularized for the supplements to be of any help.  for example, i bought the civ pro one at the beginning of the year because it's supposed to be infamous, and i admit it's a solid book, but my civ pro professor is just to specific with his teaching methods for the E&E to be of any assistance.  i get everything i need for my professor's exam from his lectures and the assigned readings.  and now i've wasted $40 on a book that is collecting dust.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »
for what it's worth, i'd recommend waiting until you start classes to spend money on E&Es.  i've found that some professors are just too particularized for the supplements to be of any help.  for example, i bought the civ pro one at the beginning of the year because it's supposed to be infamous, and i admit it's a solid book, but my civ pro professor is just to specific with his teaching methods for the E&E to be of any assistance.  i get everything i need for my professor's exam from his lectures and the assigned readings.  and now i've wasted $40 on a book that is collecting dust.

TITCR. Ditto for me with my Torts prof.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »

This is VERY credited.  E&E's work great in some classes, while it's a waste for others. 

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
I didn't use E&E's much, so I won't comment on them, but I found the Crunchtime books to be pretty universal since they by and large focus on black letter law and exam-application of rules and doctrines. You're obviously going to want to get a great outline for your professor/class. (No, don't make your own. A wheel is a wheel no matter how many times you reinvent it).
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
I didn't use E&E's much, so I won't comment on them, but I found the Crunchtime books to be pretty universal since they by and large focus on black letter law and exam-application of rules and doctrines. You're obviously going to want to get a great outline for your professor/class. (No, don't make your own. A wheel is a wheel no matter how many times you reinvent it).

Now, here is where I will disagree with you.

I recommend making your own outlines.  I've had quite a few outlines, even from good students, that contained quite a few errors.  And often a professor changes his/her emphasis in the course. 

The purpose of an outline, however, isn't as much the final outline as it is the process of making the outline.  You learn the material better when you are able to conceptualize the concepts into a concise outline.  So another's outline is good to use a comparison, just to make sure you covered your bases. 

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:51 PM »
Well, I don't really disagree, I am sure making my outlines would have been better, but to me, not significant enough to spend the time doing it. Making outlines for 3 or 4 classes which you usually have as a 1L per semester is going to take quite a lot of time.

What I did was get the old outlines the first week of school, and just edit and adjust it as we went by. It worked out fine for me, with a lot less time spent. Although I am sure you are right that the learning process from making them is also beneficial.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 12:01:45 AM »
Well, I don't really disagree, I am sure making my outlines would have been better, but to me, not significant enough to spend the time doing it. Making outlines for 3 or 4 classes which you usually have as a 1L per semester is going to take quite a lot of time.

What I did was get the old outlines the first week of school, and just edit and adjust it as we went by. It worked out fine for me, with a lot less time spent. Although I am sure you are right that the learning process from making them is also beneficial.

It is true that each person has his/her best study habits.

I really think that making one's own outline is underrated, however, in many law school student circles. 

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »
I'm not sure about underrated, at my school pretty much everyone seemed obsessed about writing their own outlines. I was one of very few that didn't. But yeah, each to their own, I don't really think other people can tell you how you learn best, we're all different like that. Do whatever feels right for you.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »
I'm not sure about underrated, at my school pretty much everyone seemed obsessed about writing their own outlines. I was one of very few that didn't. But yeah, each to their own, I don't really think other people can tell you how you learn best, we're all different like that. Do whatever feels right for you.

Really?  It seems to be the opposite here.  That's interesting.