• View Profile
    • Email
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:22:18 PM »
kjkjk

widennumber2

• View Profile
Re: Considering Transfer [need advice]
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »
First off, if you didn't land something through OCI you should probably keep trying on your own and not resign to taking summer classes.  It's extremely late in the game for this now, but you are going to have a gaping hole in your resume come OCI for 2L summer.  If you have extensive prior work experience at a firm this not be that influential.  But nonetheless, i would imagine that doing nothing over the summer can only hurt you.

Second, almost everyone's goal in law school is to make a hundred thousand dollars their first year out.  Its almost impossible to give you any real advice without knowing your grades/rank.  If you do very well your first year you may be able to have some $100k+ opportunities coming out of UGA (i have no idea how UGA places in terms of v100ish jobs, or where they place), and you will not have to take on a massive amount of debt.  Obviously, if you do extremely well you also may have potential transfer opportunities.  But once again if its just money your after, UGA may be able to get you there.

That being said, I think you need to figure out what you are looking for.  If you want to go to a city in particular, research the market and see where the top firms hire from.  You've thrown out a bunch of cities that are in extremely different markets and probably recruit from different schools.  If you want a shot at all those cities, you'll likely need the national reach of a t-14.  If you just want the money, see what opportunities your school may afford you and weigh them against those for a transfer to a t-14.  Of course this is all speculative considering that you have no grades/rank.

Also, just a word of caution.  Unless you are hell-bent on academia don't weigh that factor too heavily.  Its absolutely outrageous how often its said "oh and id like a shot at academia one day."  Breaking into the legal academic market is no small feat.  Keep in mind that there are non-transfer students at HYS that want academia and often can't get it.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Any T14 is worth it

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »
I don't agree.

It depends on what you want to do.  $100k worth of debt is a serious thing.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
I originally voted T14, but I'm gonna change that to T10 or bust.  In this economy, T14 isn't going to guarantee you anything.  Neither will T10, but you'll have a much better shot.  And I agree you shouldn't weigh the academia concern too heavily right now, but if that's something you really want then you really need to have a T10 degree (maybe even T5). 

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:15:05 AM »
I transferred from a Top 50 to a Top 20, and it's made a huge difference in terms of my career prospects. Transfer up if you can, but make sure it's a place you'll be happy with. If you're planning to stay in GA to practice, I'd recommend staying put.

If you can make it into a T10 or T14, go for it. However, I'm thrilled with my new school-- honestly, one of the best gambles/decisions I've ever made. I'm getting opportunities here that I simply would not have had.
Vanderbilt 2010