Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Kentucky, class of 2012  (Read 5221 times)

jeeptiger09

Re: University of Kentucky, class of 2012
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
I'm finishing up my undergrad here in Lexington, and there isn't a better time to be coming to UK, so congrats on UK Law!

As far as apartments, it all depends on what you want.  I wouldn't recommend living too far off campus because, as someone stated before, traffic is terrible around town.  Richmond Rd and Harddosburg Rd aren't as bad, but stay away from Nicholasville Rd.  I'd recommend living around campus or downtown.

If you are looking into campus area apartments, there are a lot of new complexes opening up.  Royal Lex and Newtown are close to campus (definite walking distance), but Royal Lex has been known to have break-ins and is more of a 'party' or undergrad atmosphere.  Newtown is just down the block and it's very nice (only 4 years old), but moderately expensive ($600+/mo) and parking is a pain in the ass there (forewarning, parking is a pain in the ass everywhere in Lex/at UK).  Other good places around campus: Red Mile (20 min. walk, well-priced), Campus Court (next to Red Mile, new), and Centre Court (expensive but great location, brand new).  Also, the Lex is a new facility and more are being built every year around campus.

The Village is nice but it's far away, you'll need to buy a parking permit and those can be hard to come by.

If you're thinking downtown, check out Main and Rose (expensive but brand new) and Park Plaza (really nice, relatively inexpensive).

Good luck finding a place!  You're going to love Lexington!

jd2012

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
Thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

jd2012

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »
Do you gys know anything about the University Lofts on Bolivar, or Newton Crossing on Foreman?

drakewing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »
I don't have much to add. I'm just really excited about the fall. Are you all doing anything to prepare? In terms of pre-reading, for example?

Right now I'm looking at On Liberty by Mill and Discipline and Punish by Focault. I figure, last chance to read what I want, right?

jeeptiger09

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 04:02:41 AM »
jd2012,

Newtown Crossing is a four year old complex with seven apartment buildings and a pool.  It has singles and triples, but most are quads.  There is a pool and a sand volleyball court and a restaurant right in the complex.  Very nice facilities, but looking at around $600+/mo. (even more if it's a single).  It's a short walk to campus--I'd say about 15 minutes to the law school.  Very nice place, but going to be filled with a lot of undergrads and could be noisy on the weekends.  Parking at Newtown is awful and you're not really close to restaurants or bars.

University Lofts is also relatively new, five or six years old.  One of my best friends lived in University Lofts when we were freshmen and it was a pretty cool place.  Loft style with two rooms (kitchen/dining and bedroom/bathroom/closet).  Nice, rent is pretty expensive ($800/mo./loft) but it's a place that would be pretty quiet.  About the same distance to the law school, 15-20 minute walk--very close to campus.  It's also very close to a lot of restaurants on campus (fazoli's, jimmy john's, firehouse, etc.) and close to all the bookstores.

Let me know if you need anything else.

ukerock2005

• AOL Instant Messenger - ericuk2005
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »
Hey I am a UK undergrad and will also be attending Uk law in the fall. They created a facebook group for us called "UK Law Class of 2012". They are trying to plan some events for the end of july and early august for all of us to meet. As far as interest go I am still wide open. With that being said I wouldn't mind some form of buissness law. Lexington is also a great city to  live in. It is big enough you can find things to do, but small enough to avoid the problems of big cities. I look forward to meeting everyone.
Don't take life too serious, you will never make it out alive.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 07:55:27 AM »
To those of you from the area, what are some of the bigger-name law firms in Lexington?
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
To those of you from the area, what are some of the bigger-name law firms in Lexington?

Hehe, there's Gary Becker and Melbourne Mills, Jr.  They have lots of commercials.  (Of course, they spend most of their time running after paramedics.)