Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Kentucky, class of 2012  (Read 5170 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
University of Kentucky, class of 2012
« on: April 04, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »
With this thread, I will reserve the unique distinction of having created the "Class of 2012" thread for two different schools.  Nonetheless, I have noticed University of Kentucky Law School getting quite a bit of discussion on these boards the past few days, and I don't think there is an official UK thread yet.

Anyone who has committed to or is strongly leading toward going to UK this August, this thread is for you (us).  Maybe we can get to know each other a little before classes actually start.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

drakewing

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Kentucky, class of 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »
sounds good. i think i'm sending my seat deposit this week. didn't expect to end up in kentucky but i really like the tone of the correspondence from the school and the in-state tuition rate is hard to argue with.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »
I'm guessing from the way you worded your post that you aren't from Kentucky... have you visited the campus?

LSN

drakewing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
No. I'm from California but finishing at Alabama right now. I hope to make it out there relatively soon. I've done some research online but if you have any thoughts or opinions about the campus or Lexington, I'd love to hear them.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:30:36 PM »
I grew up about 2 hours south of Lexington... it is a cool town that most people who visit seem to like.  People from big cities seem to think it is small, but, to me, it is pretty large (my hometown= 6,000 people).  The campus is nicer than average, but not as nice as some others in Kentucky (my alma mater, WKU, is considerably better looking).  The law school isn't very aeshetically pleasing, but it does have somewhat of a charm to it. 

As far as a UK degree... it is the best in Kentucky.  In fact, there are few schools (maybe none except Harvard and Yale) that are more highly respected in the state of Kentucky.  That may sound like hyperbole (and it may be a bit of a stretch), but a UK degree opens a lot of doors within Kentucky.  As far as outside the state- I wouldn't know.  What I do know is this- Kentucky gets a bad national reputation for being a state full of under-educated hicks, but you shouldn't knock Kentucky until you give it a fair shake.  I love it here.

LSN

drakewing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »
Yeah, I think University of Alabama gets a similar reputation. The advantages though of being at the top school w/in the state outweigh this for me. If I have to stay in the area to get some job experience, that's what I'll do.

Campus aesthetics aren't that important to me. I care more about having some trees and grass around than I do about the state of the buildings, which is helpful, since the rebuilding of the law school looks a few years away.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:34:43 PM »
I grew up in Lexington...you can't ask for a nicer town.  It has a fair amount of urban amenities without awful traffic and insane real-estate prices.  And yes, there are plenty of open spaces with grass and trees in and just outside of town.

jd2012

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 12:34:05 AM »
Have you guys heard of many graduates to gain employement out of the region?

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
From what I have seen/ heard, about 80% of UK graduates stay in Kentucky.  However, this seems to be by choice- not because they can't get a job somewhere else, but because they don't want to.  At the UK ASD, they emphasized that it was very possible to get a job out of the region, but that you have to work a lot harder to get one.

LSN

drakewing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »
I know of a UK grad who finished last year and complained about the difficulty of finding something outside the region. But he's working for a firm in NYC, so I'm thinking that means, as TopCat said, you just have to make an additional effort. Most of the employers UK brings in for its job fair for example, are from nearby. We may have to try to attend job fairs outside the state and find other ways of networking if we don't want to start out employed in the South or the Midwest.