Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American vs Howard  (Read 3042 times)

LIMBO

• View Profile
American vs Howard
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
I am deciding between American and Howard. I like both schools and the DC area. I will have to pay the full price tag for Howard 23K+. American's tuition is 40K+, but I got 15K for the 1st yearfrom them and will most likely get it for the other 2yrs. So tuition is almost equal and so will cost of living since they are in the same city.

Just wondering about other ppl's opinion on which sch will give me more opportunities. Where should I go? Be sure to pick one or the other. Thank you.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: American vs Howard
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:17:46 AM »
Its always an issue of how important the money is to you. But Howard versus American is really a pretty lopsided comparison, American should win this hands down unless there are some very substantial factors pulling the other way.

By what certainty are you assuming you will get it for the other 2 years? I'm guessing they have a class rank requirement, and do remember that 100% of the students in a 1L class are confident they will be in the top 10%. 90% of them are wrong.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
The way I see it, your intelligence is what it is.

Whatever your intelligence level is, you will place better at Howard than you will at American.

It seems pretty clear that the people in the middle and bottom of the class at American and Howard get the same dismal job opportunities.

It seems equally clear that the top of Howard gets better opportunities than the top of American (generally speaking).

Your intelligence being what it is, you have a better chance of placing at the top of Howard than American.

Thus, you should go to Howard money being no factor.
YLS c/o 2009

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »

Whatever your intelligence level is, you will place better at Howard than you will at American.

It seems pretty clear that the people in the middle and bottom of the class at American and Howard get the same dismal job opportunities.

It seems equally clear that the top of Howard gets better opportunities than the top of American (generally speaking).

Your intelligence being what it is, you have a better chance of placing at the top of Howard than American.

I can understand that line of thinking, but LSAT's and GPA's of incoming law students are of little indicator, especially at Howard. The "top" of Howard tends to be a group of students who are very underrated and likely could/should have gone to top-20 schools.

They are waitlisted at top-20 schools but don't get in, so they choose Howard Law. I know that sounds wierd, but it's true. Many Black law applicants think that way...either top-20 or Howard. So what you have at the top of Howard is a class of deceptively talented people. Plus, the profs are tough. It's not going to be easy to make the top of Howard.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
The previous post is a 120 answer.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »

I can understand that line of thinking, but LSAT's and GPA's of incoming law students are of little indicator, especially at Howard. The "top" of Howard tends to be a group of students who are very underrated and likely could/should have gone to top-20 schools.

They are waitlisted at top-20 schools but don't get in, so they choose Howard Law. I know that sounds wierd, but it's true. Many Black law applicants think that way...either top-20 or Howard. So what you have at the top of Howard is a class of deceptively talented people. Plus, the profs are tough. It's not going to be easy to make the top of Howard.

lol. I love Howard as much as the next guy, but this is ridiculous.

Edit: I'll actually go ahead and say that you're correct here, on second thought. It isn't so much that I actually think this is true. After all, if you're waitlisted and didn't get in to a top 20 school, you can't reasonably say you "could/should have gone to a top 20 school." Nonetheless, I do remember that my girlfriend and I only applied to the t14 and Howard thinking that Howard was the only school outside of the t14 worth going to.
YLS c/o 2009

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »

lol. I love Howard as much as the next guy, but this is ridiculous.

Edit: I'll actually go ahead and say that you're correct here, on second thought. It isn't so much that I actually think this is true. After all, if you're waitlisted and didn't get in to a top 20 school, you can't reasonably say you "could/should have gone to a top 20 school." Nonetheless, I do remember that my girlfriend and I only applied to the t14 and Howard thinking that Howard was the only school outside of the t14 worth going to.

You see? That's what I am saying, right there. Many Black applicants feel that way. There may be the occasional Tulane, UNC, Chicago-Kent, Cardozo, Brooklyn or Temple sprinkled in, b/c of their placement records for ethnic minority candidates. But, for the most part, we tend to go Top-20/25 + Howard or bust in our applications, which is why your Villanovas and Seton Halls get few Black applications.

But anyone admitted to, or at least waitlisted at, multiple top schools should be perceived to be top school material.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
The previous post is a 120 answer.

On a scale of 0-120.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:37:11 PM »
Its always an issue of how important the money is to you. But Howard versus American is really a pretty lopsided comparison, American should win this hands down unless there are some very substantial factors pulling the other way.

By what certainty are you assuming you will get it for the other 2 years? I'm guessing they have a class rank requirement, and do remember that 100% of the students in a 1L class are confident they will be in the top 10%. 90% of them are wrong.

Fail! All you need at Howard to keep your scholy is a 3.0 GPA, which is tough, but doable.

And according to WHAT do u assume that American should be the hands down favorite? It sound to me as if SOMEBODY has assumed that the same Howard Law that keeps beating the crap out of Harvard and Yale every year in Moot Court is inferior to predominantly White law schools.

Howard is the most underrated law school in the country and should be at least top-50. Some others are very close:

Cardozo is a top-25 school
Hastings is a top 25 school
Brooklyn is a top-30 school
Chicago-Kent is top-30 school
Tulane is a top-30 school
Miami is a top-tier school
Wayne State is a top-tier school
Suffolk is a top-tier school

American is considered to be one of the most overrated schools in the country.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »

Fail! All you need at Howard to keep your scholy is a 3.0 GPA, which is tough, but doable.

And according to WHAT do u assume that American should be the hands down favorite? It sound to me as if SOMEBODY has assumed that the same Howard Law that keeps beating the crap out of Harvard and Yale every year in Moot Court is inferior to predominantly White law schools.

Howard is the most underrated law school in the country and should be at least top-50. Some others are very close:

Cardozo is a top-25 school
Hastings is a top 25 school
Brooklyn is a top-30 school
Chicago-Kent is top-30 school
Tulane is a top-30 school
Miami is a top-tier school
Wayne State is a top-tier school
Suffolk is a top-tier school

American is considered to be one of the most overrated schools in the country.

According to WHAT do u suggest that these schools are so underrated, and that American is so overrated?

Having said that, I agree with LawDog that it's not a hands-down win in American's favor.  See?  At least I'm fair.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.