Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should we really go into law?  (Read 7305 times)

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should we really go into law?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
I mean the consensus seems to be there are too many law schools and too many lawyers and too many graduates every year Should we consider going into the health field instead? Medical, Dental or Pharmacy school perhaps? Im 26 graduated from college 4 years ago.

As to this question...you ask "we" but then end it all about you.

There seems to every year, from my research for over one year now on what i'll be up against in my quest to get into law school, people who are going to law school cause they either have no clue what they want to do with their lives or have a bullsh*t degree that they can't parlay into an actual career.

In a bad economy going to school for a simple one-year type degree is not so bad if you want to keep your brain sharp and not look like a slacker if you are unemployed, but it should still be something you have a quantifiable or at least explainable interest in.

But i would be severely pissed off to find out a doctor who has my life in his hands is only in medicine cause no other type of grad school would accept him.  He needs to be in medicine cause he is GOOD at understanding the medical concepts and because he WANTS to take care of my health and in some cases save my LIFE! 

Yes we want to be in a field that makes money, but to be honest you can get more steady and less stressful bang for your buck being a pharmacist and investing on the side in some real estate or something.  If health care is your field.

If you're the type that gets sick being in the same zip code as someone with a cold, i wouldn't suggest a medical profession to you at all.  If you can't stand on your feet for long periods, i wouldn't suggest it either.

there are all these tiny considerations that differ from person to person...

I think you need to decide why you are wanting to do law, and whether the day to day of it is something you can live with, and whether you would even be good at it.   I don't think i would be good at medicine.  takes too long to see a return on your investment, and i sure as heck do not want to be old and on my feet all day!  No no no.  Lawyering involves standing only when it court.

(I have way more serious reasons for choosing law, but i have discussed them months ago, and never considered being a doctor anyway, but did consider turning my back on my law dreams and being a nurse...however, the hostility of the fellow nurses and the scorn of the doctors (legendary!), the slim chance of having your own practice (and needing to get ALL the way up to ARNP status and STILL need a doctor's permission to run your own business, the standing up all day even as an old woman...all that rubbed me the wrong way...law you can get your JD and pass the bar and have your own practice the same day, if you plan ahead for it...I like that. AND I can sit my old backside down when I am 80 if i don't feel like retiring.)

mdf1960

• View Profile
Re: Should we really go into law?
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
I mean the consensus seems to be there are too many law schools and too many lawyers and too many graduates every year Should we consider going into the health field instead? Medical, Dental or Pharmacy school perhaps? Im 26 graduated from college 4 years ago.

The consensus is right.

Go into the medical field (if it interests you) unless you can get into a T14 law school or have family connections that can get you a good legal job.