Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No shot at Yale?  (Read 1261 times)

HYSDreams

• View Profile
No shot at Yale?
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
Do I have a shot at YLS with a sub-par GPA?

I'm a non-trad URM with a 2.81 gpa and currently practicing at 175 for the June LSAT. I'm within 15 units of graduation but I am currently taking time off of school to focus on my young family and to assist some other family members financially. I have a poor gpa for several reasons. I started college at 16 and came from a very sheltered background. My freshman year I had a 3.01 because I decided to have the fun I wasn't unable to have prior to college. In my subsequent college years, I wasn't able to put in the time required for a 4.0 due to the fact that I had the responsibilities of raising a family practically on my own and serious financial issues (we've evicted twice and had to go on welfare and food stamps for a period).

I do have some softs, I help start a two non-profit by writing grant proposals and fundraising, started a young mothers group that mentors teen mothers and I am very active in my church.

I am going to apply regardless of the feedback I receive but I would like to know if admission is even within the realm of possibility.

This is not a flame  ;)

Edited to add: I'm trying to solicit sincere advice. I don't want to spark an AA debate. If knew someone I could ask this question to privately, I would have.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: No shot at Yale?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:21:08 AM »
Well, there's always a chance, I suppose.  I wouldn't bet on it though.  But like you said, apply anyway.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »
It's important now that you finish undergrad as strong as you can, continue to practice for the LSAT, and then obtain the highest score you can on the LSAT.

Do you have children yourself? Are you a woman? Are you Hispanic or Native American rather than black? "Yes"s to any of those may improve your chances because you're then from an even smaller minority.

You've likely got a great story to tell in your App, though. Rock the LSAT (170 or above) and SOME T14 will likely take you. Whether you get into HYS is, well, impossible to determine.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »
Being NA doesn't help more than being black...have you seen the NA population at these schools?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
The reality of YLS is that they are sticklers for GPA even for minorities. Anything below a 3.7 and I think the odds for ANYONE to get into YLS is below 3%. A 2.8....yeah, apply, but the odds are heavily against you.
YLS c/o 2009

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:00:05 PM »
If you actually score a 175 on the test, it's worth applying. A sub 3.0 is certainly never going to help you at Yale, and I'd say chances are pretty slim, but still might be worth the application fee.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
There's an enormous difference between testing at 175 and scoring that highly. Even if you're hitting that number with some regularity, there's no guarantee that you'll walk away with a score that high. In fact, I don't know anyone who scored at their upper practice range on the actual test.

If you do score that highly, the challenge then becomes to effectively express to YLS why your circumstances warrant consideration when your GPA might otherwise foreclose it. The YLS personal statement is still capped at 250 words. A tall order.
Cornell 2011

HYSDreams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »
Thank you for all of your candid responces. In responce to a previous question, yes I have children (two boys) and I am an african american female.

I am aware that my PT score might be several points lower than where I'm practicing at but I am confident that I will score somewhere in the 99th percentile.

If you do score that highly, the challenge then becomes to effectively express to YLS why your circumstances warrant consideration when your GPA might otherwise foreclose it. The YLS personal statement is still capped at 250 words. A tall order.

After reading YLS application materials, I was under the impression that you were allowed to include a standard personal statement in addition to the 250. I must look over this again.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »
Thank you for all of your candid responces. In responce to a previous question, yes I have children (two boys) and I am an african american female.

I am aware that my PT score might be several points lower than where I'm practicing at but I am confident that I will score somewhere in the 99th percentile.

After reading YLS application materials, I was under the impression that you were allowed to include a standard personal statement in addition to the 250. I must look over this again.

You are. I included a personal statement as well as a 250.
YLS c/o 2009