Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC vs Vandy($)???  (Read 2942 times)

frankzone

• View Profile
GULC vs Vandy($)???
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:02:21 AM »
Hi guys,

Really need some help here! I've been admitted to GULC (no money) and Vandy (offers 27k/year, 81k for 3 years). Now, as a foreigner (Chinese, engineering background), I don't really have much geographical preference. And my money is tight. I can manage about $20k, and the rest has to come from loans(which require a consigner in the US)

Which one should I go with here? GULC is a T14 (ranked 14 by the USNews), Vandy ranks 15. Is there a huge gap between the two in terms of academic environment, employment perspective, influence, etc? I don't plan to stay long in the US after graduation (probably after repaying the loans.)

Any suggestion or additional info is welcome. Please help me out here, thanks!!! 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GULC vs Vandy($)???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:39:15 AM »
Pick Vandy, unless you have to be in certain class rank to keep the scholarshp at Vandy.  As a foreigner, your chance of being at the top of the class is slim.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:07:47 AM »
The only requirement is that you have to remain in good academic standing (i.e. breathe).

I would find the decision pretty easy because I prefer small schools. GULC places a little better, but nothing significant (probably ~5%, some will argue ~10% deeper in the class at GULC). Nashville is also awesome and very affordable.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »
The only requirement is that you have to remain in good academic standing (i.e. breath).

If that's the only requirment, then the choice is very easy.  It's Georgetown, not Penn or Columbia. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »
I agree, go Vandy.  With the money you are being offered and the difference in cost of living compared to practically the same ranking school, I would definitely choose Vandy. DC is very expensive. Vandy for sure.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »
The main thing I would look into is how the two degrees would be appreciated in China. My impression is that GULC has a more internationally known name, but it's completely unknown compared to places like Harvard.

Additionally, the 2x debt at GULC would probably mean staying in the US 2x as long. Are you OK with that?

I do recall that there were a few firms at OCI here that recruited for positions in China. You might check and see if any firms do this at Vandy.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Put em up!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
Allen & Overy and Freshfields both interview for Hong Kong at Vandy.
Overall though for that amount of money, Vandy is the way to go.
(another additional fact is the cost of living is probably lower in Nashville adding to your overall savings.)

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »
With that kind of money, Vandy in a heartbeat
Cornell 2011

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:15:41 PM »
I'll jump on the Vandy bandwagon (big surprise) - the money really makes it a very easy choice, since there's very little difference between the two schools as far as reputation and job placement.
Vandy Law 2011

Rez.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 11:25:56 PM »
GULC has a nicer gym, but I would go to Vanderbilt.