Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Golden Gate  (Read 638 times)

ankh

• View Profile
Golden Gate
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
Got into Golden Gate with a $48,000 scholarship. Am curious about any advice about GG.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Gate
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Retake the LSAT.  Golden Gate has a poor bar pass rate, it is in an already flooded legal market with far superior schools, it is basically a local school (I don't even give it a region) so that hurts job prospects even more, even with a scholarship, the cost of living in Frisco will suck you dry.  Also, I thought Golden Gate was on probation, they were at least a couple of years ago, I am not sure if they still are.

IMHO, a full scholarship isn't worth it.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:02:57 AM »
Any other options?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

iyl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:12:21 AM »
Is the scholarship renewable each year based on grades or $48k/year unconditionally?

I ask this because the last time I checked they are on probation with the ABA for low bar pass rates.  This may have changed though, so you may want to ask them.  Personally, I would not risk it because a lot can happen in 3 years.

However - I've heard they have a great tax program and the scholarship would keep your loans low.  The law school itself is not bad and conveniently located.

SamE397

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »
GG is not on probation and I believe there scholarships only require good standing though double check. As for bar passage rate, bar passage rate is indicative of the talent of a schools student body not the quality of education. People near the top of their class at GGU have bar passage rates that are much higher than say SFU or McGeorge probably because GGU emphasizes bar prep material more than those schools.

That said like most california T4s GGU does drop a third of their class. There's basically two ways IMO to think about this. One is if you're not going to be in the bottom third of your class who cares. There is something to be said for this especially if you have to stay in the area for family/career/mortgage obligations or are dead set on SanFran. Another way to look at it is that even if you're not going to be in the bottom part of your class high attrition rates can be a serious academic and quality of life issue.
Here's a site with some interesting discussion about GGU.
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/educ-Colleges_and_Universities-All-Golden_Gate_University