Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alternative Civ Pro Supplements?  (Read 1812 times)

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Alternative Civ Pro Supplements?
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
I am getting ready for my civ. pro. final and already ordered the infamous E&E but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.  My prof.'s approach to class was not to teach the rules but to lecture on abstract theories such as the importance of jurisprudence and conceptualizing injury.  I'm not sure that the typical supplement will help me here.  Are there any books that touch more on theory and policy?  Perhaps the E&E will do the trick when it arrives but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions.  Thanks.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Civ Pro Supplements?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:32:59 PM »
Get an outline from a 2L or 3L, draft your own outline or do both.  No horn book is that helpful when your prof teacher as yours does. What a hot mess! Why not just teach the rules and the seminal cases?

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »
Unfortunately it is the prof.'s first time teaching the class so there are no previous outlines or exams to look at...Nor are any of the cases we studied cited in any supplements.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »
Unfortunately it is the prof.'s first time teaching the class so there are no previous outlines or exams to look at...Nor are any of the cases we studied cited in any supplements.

What a male private part. Oh boy. Study / outline group? Request hypos/sample problems from the prof that he/she thinks are useful? Let the prof know Glennon's not helping -- what other supplement would?

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »
I highly HIGHLY recommend Acing Civil Procedures by Spencer. There's an invaluable checklist and the hypos are spot on. The only thing it doesn't cover is class actions, but other than that, it's gold. Helped me get through civ pro, and I never even cracked E&E or emmanuels. It's short too, and cheap. Small paperback at about 23 bucks. Check it out:
http://west.thomson.com/productdetail/146930/40424798/productdetail.aspx

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »
I highly HIGHLY recommend Acing Civil Procedures by Spencer. There's an invaluable checklist and the hypos are spot on. The only thing it doesn't cover is class actions, but other than that, it's gold. Helped me get through civ pro, and I never even cracked E&E or emmanuels. It's short too, and cheap. Small paperback at about 23 bucks. Check it out:
http://west.thomson.com/productdetail/146930/40424798/productdetail.aspx

Spot on. Spencer's book is the truth.

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:03:29 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about what cases he choose, unless of course he left out Pennoyer, International Shoe, or Erie, since the cases only show how the rules and related theories are applied and the actual cases are, for the most part, interchangeable (case A that deals with intervention won't be much different than cases B-Z that face the same issue). Civ Pro is the only class where I felt i could look at the supplements w/o worrying about conflicting information since it was based on the rules. Try the nutshell on civ pro, it is short and covers everything but does not go into any real detail, it is good to see what you really understand and highlights what you will need to focus on. Sorry to hear your prof has backed you into such a corner, good luck.

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »
Since he took a different approach, do you feel you have a good grasp of the actual procedure and rules? I guess it seems to me that it would be extremely tough to learn how everything works and fits together without actually working with the rules. For example, do you feel short changed? Did he do enough that your class will be able to operate effectively this summer? Will they be able to discuss whether a party has a compulsory or permissive counterclaim, elements of 3rd party practice, joinder of parties/claims, intervention, removal, subject matter jurisdiction, supplemental jurisdiction,  and so on?