Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: non traditional  (Read 1895 times)

hul1234

• View Profile
    • Email
non traditional
« on: April 02, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
I am 35 year old physician who is interested in getting into law school due to interest in medical malpractice. I did my medicine residency here in NY. I am on H-1 B visa and currently work about 15-16 days a month. So I would be interested in part time law or night /weekend school if such thing exist. I consider myself a decent student and just got hold of kaplan LSAT book.
Can you guide me and let me know whether I stand any chance of acceptance?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: non traditional
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »
I had two MD in my class, Iím part-time. Part time law schools exists in most larger cities. As to what you need to get in, your LSAT is going to be king here, the better you do the more options, the less you do the fewer options, not unlike the MCAT and getting into med school. Do your best on the LSAT then you can figure out better what your options are after you know your score, shoot for 165+ and you will have lots of options for part time law school. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

hul1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »

thanks a lot for your input.

hul1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:13:59 AM »
Dear Matthies and friends,

Are there any law areas where knowledge of medicine might help? I know about the malpractice, but I heard that its not very popular area.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:20:10 AM »

Are there any law areas where knowledge of medicine might help? I know about the malpractice, but I heard that its not very popular area.

I personally donít have any training in medicine, but I did talk to my doctors classmates a lot of the four years we were in law school together. Here is in a nut shell what they told me, medical knowledge is great from med/mal cases, BUT if you work for the plaintiff side other doctors will blacklist you, its like being internal affairs in the police department, nobody likes a rat. You work for the defense side and they will love you. Also medical knowledge is great for personal injury cases. Also advising other doctors on how to avoid liability ect.  One of the doctors ran a bunch of emergancy care clinincs that worked closely with a PI law firm. I think maybe he was trying to cut out the midle man :)
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

hul1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:56:31 AM »
Dear Mathies and friends,

Can you suggest me a book,website that will give me basic knowledge of how law is practised and different fields/branches of it?
thanks

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

phreejazz

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:49:57 AM »

Another couple of areas you might want to consider. where your background could be a huge benefit: product liability and intellectual property.

Product liability especially in the area of pharmaceuticals... Especially with recent cases allowing suits re: states' standards being applicable to product labeling above and beyond what the FDA requires.

You'll have the scientific background to look at a couple areas of IP law, as well.

hul1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 06:16:36 AM »
Dear friends,

Thanks for the advice.