Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Elon Law School?  (Read 4199 times)

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Elon Law School?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 01:14:40 AM »
Well, considering even current 3Ls at T14 schools are seeing job offers being revoked, I'm pretty sure a Tier 4 in East Bumfuck isn't hitting it out of the park.

But if you mean, do I know something concrete about this school in particular, no. Prior to reading this thread, I had not even heard of it.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 01:20:12 AM »
Right, so why respond other than to be an insufferable feminine hygiene product? Was that your reason? You haven't said anything helpful or productive, or even funny. I'm baffled you wasted your breathe.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 01:26:54 AM »
How the @#!* was I being an insufferable feminine hygiene product, you stupid cuntflap.

My point, and I assume what pissed you off, was pointing out that your information was 1) extremely anecdotal and 2) that the world from which that anecdotal evidence arrived from is now essentially flipped 180 degrees around. You might know this if you have checked CNN or similar lately. I'm sure even FOX News has caught up with this "economic mishap" currently happening in the world.

While future job prospects have always been an important measure of which law school you should go to, right now it is downright crucial. Leading people with some fairytale about a random third person with two job offers you heard about from some other random person is hardly something people should be putting their future on.

I also did not say that they would not have employment. I said gainful employment. I prefer it when people have a textualist approach to my posts. When I put words into sentences, I put them there for a reason. Scalia would love me. Well, he probably wouldn't.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 02:35:30 AM »
If you want to play the textualist game, I'm more than happy to oblige. My two notable posts were:

The top few students do well in NC, but beyond that it will mostly come down to networking

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the job prospects are any good. Just at the top, she was choosing from multiple offers.

I made no claims about anything other than the top few students. Few = top 2, 3 or maybe 4. I'm hardly making this out to be a good school with good job prospects. But keep in mind that not everybody is after the same thing you and I likely are, for better or for worse. This is why a school that cheaply provides a degree may be suitable when they cannot offer large salaries upon graduation.

That said, I don't know if anybody is dense enough to think I gave a huge breakdown of their employment prospects. Of course what I provided was anecdotal. What on earth is your point? Scalia would definitely be upset with you for such a half-assed strawman. He would probably be upset with your making stuff up as well. Namely, that I received my information before the world turned upside down.

As far as you saying "gainful employment" instead of "employment", I fail to see how it makes a difference considering it was accompanied by saying "I can assure you sure as hell" and "nobody." So unless you meant the offers were for mere employment, rather than gainful employment (and in that case you really only posted to cause trouble), then it was pretty clear from your post that you were sure that everybody with an offer had their job offer revoked. No substantive canons needed in this textual analysis. Incidentally, this is what I was responding to earlier.

LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 03:02:26 AM »
Well, considering even current 3Ls at T14 schools are seeing job offers being revoked, I'm pretty sure a Tier 4 in East Bumfuck isn't hitting it out of the park.

But if you mean, do I know something concrete about this school in particular, no. Prior to reading this thread, I had not even heard of it.

Well said in my opinion.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

shootindux

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

Well said in my opinion.

just to point out, Greensboro is not East Bumfuck. Not sure where you are from but Greensboro is a thriving southern city and you sir are a piece of *&^% for talking about my home city. That said, I wouldnt go to elon. They gave me a *&^% ton of money and i laughed it off

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 02:49:29 PM »

Well said in my opinion.

to be fair, i know some people who took jobs with smaller firms while their classmates took jobs in biglaw.  the people in biglaw have been seeing their offers rescinded and the duration of their summer jobs cut back, while the people in smaller firms are moving forward as planned.  sometimes people getting hired on a more local level and in smaller firms might be able to hang on to their offers better than T14ers in biglaw.  smaller, local firms have a more vested and personal interest in you than biglaw does, even if they have a lot less money.  that said, i really don't think elon law grads have a whole plethora of options available at this point, especially since north carolina is taking the recession particularly hard.

at any rate, elon has a pretty solid reputation for undergrad, so just because you never heard of it doesn't mean it's a bad school in the middle of nowhere.  for law school, it seems like a huge risk that i personally wouldn't take and i don't think the OP should do it.

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »
As a native North Carolinian, Elon undergrad is overpriced and is perceived as just decent.  I assume their law school would follow the same trend.

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »

Well said in my opinion.

just to point out, Greensboro is not East Bumfuck. Not sure where you are from but Greensboro is a thriving southern city and you sir are a piece of *&^% for talking about my home city. That said, I wouldnt go to elon. They gave me a *&^% ton of money and i laughed it off

NYC, and as far as we're concerned, everywhere else is East Bumfuck. :)

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:21 PM »
That said, i really don't think elon law grads have a whole plethora of options available at this point, especially since north carolina is taking the recession particularly hard.
For the record, the statistics do not tell the complete story of the recession in North Carolina.  Yes, there are plenty of people losing their jobs, but many of them are (or were) in manufacturing textiles and furniture.  These jobs have been steadily going overseas for more than twenty years, and frankly I'm surprised they stayed in the U.S. as long they did.  On the flip side, there are also lots of firms moving in to the Carolinas and/or hiring, albeit not as much as a few years ago.  These firms are primarily hiring white collar jobs, particularly in research and/or hi-tech.  A big tell-tale sign of the areas economic health, I would argue, is the fact that home prices in NC are actually rising.  I'm not certain what all that means for the legal market, but the Carolinas are certainly not in the same boat as, say, Michigan, despite the similar unemployment rates.